Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will we ever see another a/c like the MD-80 again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why, is your hearing coming back or do just hate electrical relays and climate control?

PIPE
Just sheer joy to fly,and to look at,the 9 in my humble opinion was rather pedestrian, in looks,and comparative performance,though i hear the -10,was quite a ride.

Flew the 717 in Australia...and all the guys who had flown the 9 in previous years were all like little kids. They couldn't believe they would ever get to fly the 9 again, but with new engines, cockpit, etc.

The 717 is a beast...(250kts below 10,000 is waived alot by ATC there), and riding the 717 at 320kts to 12miles and getting it in comfortably was a blast...all you had to do was make sure that you hit the G/S at 250kts.

Hitting the G/S in a 320 at 180kts and it still struggles to capture...heap of junk.

The sexiest aircraft in sky is the 9 - 80 - 90 - 717...Just plain boring the 73' & Airbuses.

The 320 has a much more efficient wing. There is a lot less drag on the 320 hence having to slow a little earlier.

Flew the 717 in Australia...and all the guys who had flown the 9 in previous years were all like little kids. They couldn't believe they would ever get to fly the 9 again, but with new engines, cockpit, etc.

The 717 is a beast...(250kts below 10,000 is waived alot by ATC there), and riding the 717 at 320kts to 12miles and getting it in comfortably was a blast...all you had to do was make sure that you hit the G/S at 250kts.

Hitting the G/S in a 320 at 180kts and it still struggles to capture...heap of junk.

The sexiest aircraft in sky is the 9 - 80 - 90 - 717...Just plain boring the 73' & Airbuses.

????????

P-51
Lear 28/31/60
Gulfstream II/III/IV/V
Sea Fury
T-38
the list goes on and on...

Well, if the rudder actuator fails, you have a chance at making it home. If the jackscrew holding the leading edge of the tail comes loose from its nut and pops out of the top of the tail, your chances are a little slimmer...

So far there's a pretty poor record of making it home after the actuator fails. It's happened way more often than the single jackscrew incident.

PIPE

If the jackscrew holding the leading edge of the tail comes loose from its nut and pops out of the top of the tail, your chances are a little slimmer...

I was a 727 Cap in the late 90's when the Alaska accident happened. The day after, I was taxing to the gate in St. Louis and there were scores of MD-80's on the ramp with mechanics crawling all over the tails. The F/O looked at me and said: "I'm glad I'm not flying THAT piece of ****"!

In May 2001 I found myself in 80 school!

Thanks Donsa for the confirmation. It was a sad accident as the crew (and rest) had a relatively long time before their impact with the water.

Latest resources

Back