Will SW Hire US Airways Pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

reepicheep

I ask because I recently talked to someone who claimed that some Southwest pilots did some checking and told her they would specifically avoid hiring any US Airways people. I tend to discount this type of rumor but thought it was worthy of passing along; maybe some SW folks can clarify or (hopefully) deny it.

FWIW, SW would be hard-pressed to find a more thankful and motivated group of folks to hire than ex-USAirways.

This rumor was going around a few years ago because of Airways pilots that actually left SW when recalled by USAirways in 98. I know of a couple of guys hired since 9-11 so unless there is a new policy change with the upcoming interviewing my answer would be that it is a bad rumor.

Typhoonpilot

US Airways folks

Sorry SWA. . . . we've got dibs on them. . . .

Not true!! SWA will hire the right Pilot regardless of their past employment... I mean gosh, we even have ex-Delta guys here.

PT's just trying to bust my balls. :D But it does mean there's hope for any retread looking for new wheels.

Good luck down there dude!

SWA F/O,

How can you tell? They are the SW pilots asking for "Wind checks." I guess that is a Navy thing? (Since they were always used to landing into the wind on a carrier, now they fear it....) Thanks for hiring our guys....

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

SWA F/O,
I have seen some ex-SWA pilots in Delta classes in years passed. Guess it depends on which side of the fence you are on.

FedEx is the one who doesn't like to hire furloughed folks. They've been burned before.

BTW, I know of at least one Major that tells its pilots that they will call you back even if you submit a letter of resignation. (They will remain anonymous.)

I would say the Delta guys are VERY fortunate to be hired by anyone. They are the most likely to leave when called back.

On the other hand, I believe a Delta guy is now at ATA. Maybe a training contract is not such a bad idea if it gets furloughed guys back to work. It guarantees your "sincerity".

Latest resources

Back