Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Republic waive the age 23 for the 170?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The rental car problem was most annoying. A Captain of a multi-million dollar 121 aircraft can't rent a $5000 dollar Neon? That's a bit Assbackwards.
As far as the nay-sayers go about not hiring at less than 23 years old, I have flown with many, many poor pilots that are twice that age with 10 times as many hours. If you can be qualified by 18 years old, submit your app.

Remington said:
The rental car problem was most annoying. A Captain of a multi-million dollar 121 aircraft can't rent a $5000 dollar Neon?

Sorry to hear you can't rent a car at the present time. No need to fret, 2-3 years will pass by before you realize it. Happy driving.

FurloughedAgain said:
When I was 21 Chautauqua hired me to fly the Jetstream. (sigh) Boy i'd do anything to go back 10 years to that first day at Chautauqua knowing what I know now.

Out of curiosity, what would you change?

Although....I agree...but I'd rather go back 10 years to my freshman year of college knowing what I know now!

-Neal

CAVOK69 said:
when i was hired into chq they told me i had to be 23 (i was 20 at the time) b/c the sim was a level c and under their regs you had to meet ATP mins to qualify in the sim. (1500tt and 23, and all the other things too) wierd but true

I think this says more about our industry that just "The race to the bottom". I think you have to have to be able to meet certain mins to be a pilot. Otherwise we simply are bus drivers.

CAVOK69 said:
when i was hired into chq they told me i had to be 23 (i was 20 at the time) b/c the sim was a level c and under their regs you had to meet ATP mins to qualify in the sim. (1500tt and 23, and all the other things too) wierd but true
Is this a 121 rule only? So I couldn't fly the 170 b/c I'm 25 but only have 1250 TT, even though I have a jet type rating?

What would I change?

Well, I might not have been in so much of a hurry to leave Chautauqua. Keep in mind that this was before Chautauqua had even considered a jet. We were still outstation based in J31s and Saabs.

In retrospect, I had SJS and jumped at the first chance I had to go fly a DC9. AirTran hired lots of people from places like Chautauqa and CCAir back then.

I was furloughed a few months later and went back to Chautauqua. Could've stayed at Chautauqua that time too and still done pretty well. (Oct 98 DOH)

Could've gone back to AirTran after the furlough (Jan 99) and been pretty senior there. (Went to USAir instead)

I dont really have any regrets other than a few wasted years. Time, unfortunately, is one resource that you simply can't get back once its gone.

FurloughedAgain said:
What would I change?

Well, I might not have been in so much of a hurry to leave Chautauqua. Keep in mind that this was before Chautauqua had even considered a jet. We were still outstation based in J31s and Saabs.

In retrospect, I had SJS and jumped at the first chance I had to go fly a DC9. AirTran hired lots of people from places like Chautauqa and CCAir back then.

I was furloughed a few months later and went back to Chautauqua. Could've stayed at Chautauqua that time too and still done pretty well. (Oct 98 DOH)

Could've gone back to AirTran after the furlough (Jan 99) and been pretty senior there. (Went to USAir instead)

I dont really have any regrets other than a few wasted years. Time, unfortunately, is one resource that you simply can't get back once its gone.

Good points...but...sounds like you made all the right decisions, given the information you had at the time.

-Neal

(shrug) who knows. Easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.

One thing's for sure. I wouldn't have been such a know-it-all, smarta$$.

(yup, now that I think about it, it MUST have been SJS!... or maybe just plain ol' immaturity)

Don't give yourself a hard time. Hind sight is always 20/20, and look at the options you had. Stay at a commuter flying turboprops, or move up in the world, and fly a donnie douglas death dart. Just for the record, this SJS sh!t is the most overused term I've ever heard. If you are a pilot, you're ultimate goal is to fly a big, fast jet. Now, if you're willing to do anything, including paying for that very job, then that is another thing. The funny thing is, after a while, the awe of flying a jet wears off. I'd fly a C 152 if I could get a pay raise, and not get JA'd every two weeks.

You wanna hear a story that makes your stomach turn? A check airman at the place I work was at Midway 1. They shut down, and he couldn't find a job. Finally he was offered a job at a start up called Reno Airlines flying DC 9's. He was in the (I think) 2nd class. He worked there, until he got a call that Midway was going to start up once again. He quit, and returned to Midway, until they shut down again. In the meantime, AA buys Reno, and he is now a 757 check airman at a supplemental carrier.

E170 a level c sim? Never flown one but pretty sure you meant Level d. We train FO's in level D CRJ sims all the time to 100% and the QLOFT. Can't think of a reason why CHQ wouldn't do the same?

Latest resources

Back