Will JetBlue ever fly trans-oceanic?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Horses

Just a question for JetBlue guys... Do you ever see JetBlue getting larger Airbuses and flying to Europe or Asia in the future? I know this is kind-of against normal LCC business strategy, but Airways considers themselves a LCC and flies trans-oceanic.

In other words, are there any long-term plans or rumors of turning from a SWA/Airtran-like LCC to the next new "legacy" carrier?

"Ever" is a long time, but I doubt it. LCC isn't an LCC though they would like to be. They are a legacy that's trying to achieve LCC costs, but without shedding the legacy business model along with them. I don't think you can have it both ways.

I would say, yes.

Sooner or later one of the LCC's will find a way to hook up with Ryan Air or Easy Jet or any of the countless other European LCC's.

If Jetblue could work in conjunction with Ryan Air to guarantee a feed or flow of passengers to and from Europe. Then the load factors could support A330 service in and out of JFK. I am not talking a massive Trans Atlantic fleet but something the the realm of 10-12 aircraft flying 5 or 6 round trips daily . 3 or 4 a day to Ryan Air's Stansted hub, 2 or 3 to it's main land European hub, one to it's Dublin hub. All possible if the load factors provided by both LCC's feed support descent yeilds.

787s

Unconfirmed but from a source who "would" know that Boeing gave jetblue senior management the 787 sales pitch the other week at HQ...

Just because this "may" have happened doesn't mean it will..

But apparently the Boeing numbers are very impressive.

FWIW....

I believe Boeing would pitch the airplane to anyone that "may" be interested or not.

Flying Horses said:
but Airways considers themselves a LCC and flies trans-oceanic.

US Airways, and Low Cost Carrier should never be used in the same sentence. They are marketing that (Smart Move), and changed their ticker to LCC (Smart Move), but by are far from being an actual LCC.

My forecast is LCC will run out of money before they achieve true LCC status.

With all their cost cuts, fleet reductions, employee pay reductions and dual bankruptcy ventures, their CASM has gone down very little.

And, I hope we don't fly overseas beyond the carribean. We have enough problems with the market here at home.

Last edited:
Check the stock price

Dogwood said:
US Airways, and Low Cost Carrier should never be used in the same sentence. They are marketing that (Smart Move), and changed their ticker to LCC (Smart Move), but by are far from being an actual LCC.

My forecast is LCC will run out of money before they achieve true LCC status.

With all their cost cuts, fleet reductions, employee pay reductions and dual bankruptcy ventures, their CASM has gone down very little.

And, I hope we don't fly overseas beyond the carribean. We have enough problems with the market here at home.

03/28/06 jetBlue (JBLU) $10.54
03/28/06 US Airways (LCC) $37.57

Little Duece said:
03/28/06 jetBlue (JBLU) $10.54
03/28/06 US Airways (LCC) $37.57

What does stock price have to do with being an LCC?

As for the original topic, I wouldn't rule some type of codesharing agreement (although David has said he would never do that). We all know he is having a hard time watching all of that international stuff leave jfk and not having a piece of the action.

In order for us to do it ourselves however, we need another airplane. Or maybe a couple hundred hovercraft. May take a while to cross the pond, but they are easier to clean. Oh, and we'd be so low to the ground none of 32LT10's buddies would groan because we miss a radio call once in a while.

Trans Atlantic Turns? We all know precious violets can only get proper rest in their own flower beds at night.

8vATE said:
Unconfirmed but from a source who "would" know that Boeing gave jetblue senior management the 787 sales pitch the other week at HQ...

Just because this "may" have happened doesn't mean it will..

But apparently the Boeing numbers are very impressive.

FWIW....

I believe Boeing would pitch the airplane to anyone that "may" be interested or not.

Interesting. BUT -- we ain't got no money for new planes. Besides, why would anyone want a "composite" plane made in the us, when you can have one for 20 mil less that's made in france by angry french students and unappreciated muslim/north african immigrants.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back