• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will fly for food!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good point. Also, one of my buddies is a firefighter and can barely pay the bills. You have have to volunteer for a while before you get a permanent job.....although at times I guess that's not too different from flying!

Phaedrus said:
Police and Fire Service have better pay? No way to back this up, but I'd be surprised if, on average, a policeman/fireman career netted more money than an airline career even in this day and age.
On the other hand, I think they should.

Fire service, depending on where you live, pays $40-80K. Usually 24 hours on, 24 hours off X 2 then 4 days off. No bad hotels but the one you do go into may be on fire.

I was a paid volunteer (Non-sequitor, I know, long story) in college. Got paid to watch cable, eat good, drive fire trucks and study occasionally.

Unit
Former Hose Puller

Apply to UPS. There was a low time guy in my newhire class with his only flight time being ANG KC-135 time. You probably have some guys in your unit that are UPS pilots, so hit them up for recommendations and even if UPS won't waive the mins for you, keep networking with the UPS pilots so when you do meet the mins you should be good to go.

Phaedrus said:
Police and Fire Service have better pay? No way to back this up, but I'd be surprised if, on average, a policeman/fireman career netted more money than an airline career even in this day and age.

There was a local cop in my area who recently retired with a $96k/yr pension. His public service pension is taxpayer funded (solid as a rock), and even includes annual COLA adjustments! The pension is calculated using his final years earinings (NOT the last 5 years of service) which was generously built up by an enormous amount of overtime, awarded on a seniority basis.
Not too bad for a high school diploma holder.

That is one good thing about working in a civil service or military career. The pay is not too bad usually, but the retirement is pretty solid.

I would suggest going to a regional, getting into a class so you are issued a senority number, then take military leave until you can hold captain. I know it may not be "moraly" right but forget morals in the regional industry. Management will furlough you in a second if it means saving a buck and collect their bonuses while you are laid off. While on MIL leave you will keep your senority from newhire class and you will get to avoid the crappy quality of life at the dumpy regionals right now. There is nothing the company can do about it. I am civilian and wish I had the opportunity but my vision was to bad to get a flight slot. Good Luck!

Shaggy 135 Guy said:
I recently transferred from active duty Air Force to a part time guard job. My question is...at what point should I start seriously looking at filling out applications with the majors? Right now I have just over 1000 total time, about 550 of that split between the C-21 (Learjet 35), the Beechjet 400, and the KC-135. I know I still need to keep building the time, but was wondering if I'm getting close at all.

You finished your UPT commitment (10 years after UPT) flew the C-21 and -135 and only have 1,000 hours when you got out. Seems a little low. What gives. Were you long term DNIF?

Latest resources

Back