Will fly for food!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shaggy 135 Guy

I recently transferred from active duty Air Force to a part time guard job. My question is...at what point should I start seriously looking at filling out applications with the majors? Right now I have just over 1000 total time, about 550 of that split between the C-21 (Learjet 35), the Beechjet 400, and the KC-135. I know I still need to keep building the time, but was wondering if I'm getting close at all.

Shaggy 135 Guy said:
I recently transferred from active duty Air Force to a part time guard job. My question is...at what point should I start seriously looking at filling out applications with the majors? Right now I have just over 1000 total time, about 550 of that split between the C-21 (Learjet 35), the Beechjet 400, and the KC-135. I know I still need to keep building the time, but was wondering if I'm getting close at all.

In short..and I'm sorry for the discouraging news, but I don't think you compete for any civilian job right now. Except maybe flight instruction.

Yeah...I figured. I was a CFI before going active. I've had some luck talking with the regionals, mainly Express Jet and ASA, but I think the instructing thing is inevitable. Thanks.

Shaggy 135 Guy said:

I agree with Taz Man. I would say your not close at this time. Way too many well qualified applicants in the market right now. Things change though. Very quickly they can change.

But to answer your question, whenever you meet the minimum qualifications, apply. Then update as often as the insiders at each airline recommend.

Good Luck.

Some of the regionals(like Express Jet, ASA, Piedmont) are hiring guys with your time, but all are not going to be running classes until January. If you can go ahead and put your resume in at any regional that intrests you then I would do it. Instructing is a good way to go for time building, but have you also considered cargo? Just a thought, I know that some cargo guys would look at you with your time.

Have you considered a career change?

Fire service? Police? All pay better and have a full retirement at 55 years old. I had a firefighter neighbor who had just as good of a schedule as I did.

Unit
Keep it movin, nothin to see here in this job...

avl_pilot said:
Some of the regionals(like Express Jet, ASA, Piedmont) are hiring guys with your time, but all are not going to be running classes until January. If you can go ahead and put your resume in at any regional that intrests you then I would do it. Instructing is a good way to go for time building, but have you also considered cargo? Just a thought, I know that some cargo guys would look at you with your time.

As you build your time, don't forget to network! When the time comes that you have the qauls is not the time to begin looking for contacts. Lay the groundwork now.

Police and Fire Service have better pay? No way to back this up, but I'd be surprised if, on average, a policeman/fireman career netted more money than an airline career even in this day and age.
On the other hand, I think they should.

SWAdude said:
I agree with Taz Man. I would say your not close at this time. Way too many well qualified applicants in the market right now. Things change though. Very quickly they can change.

But to answer your question, whenever you meet the minimum qualifications, apply. Then update as often as the insiders at each airline recommend.

Good Luck.
For once I agree with SWAdude
BTW, I work (2nd job) with a lady whose hubby is a Chicago cop. The guy makes $40K a year so I don't think being a cop is all that great....plus you have to worry about everyone killing you, not just your co-pilot or captain.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back