• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Delta pilots protect ASA pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Members of the ASA MEC and negotiating committee members are opining that it doesn't matter what the ASA cost structure is. They have been told by the Delta MEC, that ASA will be protected by the Delta MEC and that we are "golden"."

As much, or as little, I find this interesting, it should be most important to Skywest folks.
I don't believe ASA planes and pilots are going to find a whole lot of security without first getting it from Skywest management.
So I guess the Delta MEC will have to inform the Skywest suits of their feeder carrier intentions and then have that disseminated to the rank and file at ASA.
Does the Delta MEC also plan on protecting the Skywest pilots?
I would love to see ALPA's Delta feeder carrier initiatives and its plans for carving up the regional market.

Yeah-Right!

I don't trust LM any more than I trust SH (and I harbor a very special dislike for that thoroughly disengenuous S.O.B.) Whatever was said, we should be very, very leery of. LM is a total snake-in-the-grass.

-And, yes-Wolverines do make excellent housepets. Mine is curled up by my feet right now. I don't worry to much about burgularies when "daisy" is looking after my stuff.

In theory this sounds good and I have long been an advocate of mainline unions putting strong restrictions on who can fly as a Connection or Express carrier, that along with having a big part in contract negotiations on pay, work rules, and any possible flow through agreements.

Sounds good but I do not believe it.

I think if an opportunity came up for the DALPA guys to make 50 cents more a day and the only thing they had to do was line up all the Delta regional pilots up in uniform (hats too) then machete us into little pieces for the half time show on Monday Night Football they would do it.

The best ASA can hope for as protection is that the mainline guys not dispatch us in alphabetical order.

While we are lucky to have some mainline guys giving us their insight to our jobs and stuff, more than 90% of any Major carriers pilots could care less what their regionals are doing as long as it doesn't interfere with their pay or days off.

Being and employee of a wholly owned, I have no illusions about my job security. I work at the will and pleasure of Delta. If Delta wakes up and parks all of our SAABs then were hosed. Doesn't matter how profitable or how good our performance is, it all a numbers thing.

Protection...thats funny

If the MEC believes this:

1. They are far too trusting of the Delta MEC...They will sell us out in a heartbeat!

2. How would the Delta MEC even pull this off if you are gullible enough to believe they would negotiate something for us....They won't have a new contract for at least 5 years.

3. How does this help us attract new business outside of Delta?

I suspect the ASA MEC is trying to find political cover for their stonewalling on the PBS negotiations....

My 2 cents,

First, I do think we are in good graces with Delta. One does not need to look much further than the last hiring spree at DAL. Out of 700 something they hired, half were from ASA. I think its important not to bite the hand that feeds you. Comair is learning this lesson daily. I do think there is value to being ALPA in all this. Even with the conflicts of interest that are occuring, I'd rather be on this side of the fence than with no union at all.

ASA management will spin everything. A few years ago, the 900's and 700's were to be decided by St George based on who behaves. Now, we are told that DAL alone decides where airplanes go and who flys what. If thats the case, then I have a cost saving suggestion. Furlough the entire GO.

I still think that ASA has been put in trust of Skywest Inc. They have been tasked with getting us in shape and a lean machine. Then I think they will buy us back. It has been the rumor since day one of the sale. Just look whats happening with the outstations. One by one, they are going back to a wholly owned. Funny how they make a big deal about it for the outstations, but celebrated when they did it to ATL. All this time, Skywest is losing revenue for the stations they are losing and not really squawking. Hummmm.

I agree that if you look at the DCI contract signed for ASA it really does look like it is set up for ASA to be repurchased.
That said, what would the reasoning be except to flex the EV flying farther down than it is now?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back