• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Comair's 700/900's go Senior or Junior

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They cancelled the latest vacancy bid after pushing back upgrade classes a few times. The bid basically rescinds 30 CVG CA positions, 60 JFK CA positions, 30 CVG 70 seat FO positions, and ten GSO FO positons. Sweet! Did planning get the memo about a bankruptcy settlement being paid out next month? What a great company.

Did planning get the memo about a bankruptcy settlement being paid out next month? What a great company.

Yeah, except the memo said that it won't be paid out next month due to "administrative problems". In other words, "lets try to keep these suckers around as long as possible".

I'm a little bitter since most of the CR7 FOs would have been junior to me and I would have been able to finally hold a line or at least a weekend every once and a while.

What a clown show. If the bankruptcy payout ever shows up (when the people who aren't entitled to it give up the ghost), forecasting and planning will seriously regret the vacancy cancellation. They can't look more than a month ahead. I highly suspect that another reason is that there is not enough sim time available, apparently people are going to YUL again, so good luck bringing on another airframe. I bet they'll have to defer 900 deliveries due to staffing. But hey, shiny new jets makes everyone feel better! :rolleyes:

I thought these new CR9s were going to replace one for one 50 seat RJs? That wouldn't cause any growth.

What a clown show. If the bankruptcy payout ever shows up (when the people who aren't entitled to it give up the ghost), :rolleyes:

...you're the only clown I see in the show! The sooner you leave the better for everyone. The only people not entitled are non- DUES PAYERS!!!

Last edited:
does this only affect captain upgrades or will they slow newhire classes as well?

I was in CA u/g class when they came in and announced the cx. They also said NH classes will cease after the June 4 class. Hopefully, this is all temporary.

I'm sure they had a bean-counting party to determine the minimum impact to the Co.'s bottom-line as to closing of MCO/GSO, 900s, u/g's, displacements. As soon as the base closures are announced, I imagine another vacancy bid will be out for bid. Pretty sh*tty situation!

I was in a December NH class. Myself and the other guys in my class were awarded the 70 seater to begin in June, which was pushed back to July and then August. So yes, they will go Junior.

But myself and about 8 other guys from my class, withdrew our bids to go to the 70 seater, just to get out of JFK sooner....2 months sooner. Guys are willing to stay in the 50 seater, if it gets them out of JFK ASAP. Spending 2-3 hours at a time, waiting for a gate or to take off while you commute to and from JFK is a blast.

The pay difference is only $2 an hour. I figured that I would be able to hold a line in the 50 (fairly soon) in CVG, and have a chance to break 75/hours a month. Make more money that I would in the 70, and avoid sitting reserve for the next 3 decades.

Shiny jet syndrome will prevail. Those whose ego rests on the size of the tube they fly will flock to this thing.

The passengers, in the meantime, will look down that loooong tiny fuselage, (imagine a jet-powered Metroliner) and pine for the days that a 100 seat airplane meant DC9, 737-200, or F100 (variable wide-bodies by comparison).

Even with the substantial increase in pay, the 700 was a junior aircraft for a very long time.

The pay difference is only $2 an hour. I figured that I would be able to hold a line in the 50 (fairly soon) in CVG, and have a chance to break 75/hours a month. Make more money that I would in the 70, and avoid sitting reserve for the next 3 decades.

They are taking 14 50 seaters away and most of the people displaced from MCO and GSO will be coming back to CVG and most of those people are above your seniority. Bottom line, the schedules in the 50 will get worse while the 70 schedules will get better. I'm guessing, since three and four year (and to a lesser extent second year) FOs will be unwilling to take a 12 month seat lock to go to the 70, it will go very junior. You may find yourself in a situation where you bid back to CVG in the 50 and get displaced into the 70. Time will tell.

Of course my predictions would be very good for me since I'm a very junior 70 FO (which also means I'd hold a line as a 50 FO in any base:crying:).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back