Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will ATN/ALPA force this on their pilot group?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not asking for pity.

I'm asking for the man not to minimize the hits we take on our Quality of Life and we won't minimize the issues the SWA F/O's take in the issues of upgrade.

Sounds fair enough to me, sorry it doesn't for you.

And that's the whole deal- the definition of "fair"- no Lear- I actually work at swa and have lived it- not remotely satisfied with a push, especially when one thing money buys at swa IS QOL. The benefits to AT guys FAR outweigh any gains any swa pilot gets - you're only making your arguments and finding little things to get rule up on to help your negotiating position. But all you've done is take Swapa pilots who were pro AT, or at least moderates- and piss us off. Now- I really don't care what happens to you- I want my union to militantly exercise every ounce of leverage against you- if for no other reason than to meet aggressive overplay with an appropriate response-

If making calm, rational, reasonable responses has pi$$ed you off, you might want to re-analyze your thought process.

I simply ask for mutual respect and all I get is disrespect? I may be on the outside looking in, but I don't think that's part of Southwest's culture. Maybe I missed something in the book "Nuts" that says "dominate your future coworkers, belittle and demean then into submission"...?

You're entitled to your beliefs. Don't tell us we're not entitled to ours. Neither you nor anyone has that right.

Good luck Lear-
You've been good- and fine on the CYA- but at some point this culture means you join the team and don't argue and fight and bit pick every term- bc you know no one's trying to screw you- very few of you are as reasonable as you- and then you want acknowledgement for having to change bases, when that could have happened regardless- there's very little gratitude for being bought by us- and in fact- I'm called arrogant for suggesting you ought to be.
I've lived NUTS, I contribute- Ive changed bases for this career, including when I got on here- but you're spinning a very lucky good thing in your career and trying to say its a sacrifice, yes- pisses me off- there are way too many in this world who'd love to be in your position to give credence to that. It's dumb and ungrateful. You guys all want us to forget that you were getting pissed on and voted overwhelmingly to strike. And now swa buying you, somehow isn't good for you. I've actually read NUTS again since this-I volunteer, and I promise- I'm not your problem- you guys come in with the slightest humility and I'll argue for you, as I have in the past. It's AT pilot attitudes that are getting an appropriate response from me and our pilot group.

Your union delaying for delay's purpose, pisses me off- PCL and the alps conflict of interest manifesting itself so predictably, pisses me off- and now I'm seeing signs of you Lear, one of the good dudes there, going on to get along and getting influenced by what you guys think you deserve. Why do you think you have this kind of leverage? Why on earth have you convinced yourself that this is a "sacrifice" bc of some short term logistics you'll have to deal with.
Again- smallest violin... Get some perspective and come in EXCITED AND HAPPY- but you can't take take take from Swapa and say you'll be anything different with swa when your on the list.

And that's the part of the culture you guys don't seem to understand: YOU MUST GIVE IN ORDER TO RECEIVE.
Do you know that, in transition, on first year pay, new hires are fully expected to plan AND FUND the next new hire party- none of the guys making big money- it's on us! They want us to own this culture from day 1. Same day, we're fully expected, no matter what our finances, to donate $100/each to charity as a class. These are small gestures to an overall theme that it is not about YOU and YOUR selfish situation- you're job is to take care of everyone you see, and by default- you will be taken care of by everyone else. Selfishness breaks down over time- selflessness builds- it creates far in excess of what's put in. And 5 pilots in and around my class were let go bc they didn't have the attitude- and showed entitlement.
So though your pilots' and ALPA beliefs, attitudes, and actions may be totally appropriate if you were merging w/ any other carrier- but the me first ethic you guys are showing is the worst move you could make.
And I'm positive that's in NUTS.
So again- good luck Lear- everyone wants to help the beaten dog- until it shows too much a tendency to bite.

Last edited:
11 year SWA FO flying with 6 year former AAI CP, wrong in every sense of the word and an arbitrator would see it the same way...the AIP deal is a great deal for the junior AAI CPS (especially the 74 guys that upgraded since the snapshot)...every FO (AAI and SWA) are paying the price for the 815 retention slots protected to 2020...disgusting but negotiated...

Madjack

Don't be so sure an arbitrator would see it that way - ask Mr. Nicolau what he did to the US East FO's who are all mostly senior to a 6 year US West Captain.

Metrojet

Good luck Lear-
You've been good- and fine on the CYA- but at some point this culture means you join the team and don't argue and fight and bit pick every term- bc you know no one's trying to screw you- very few of you are as reasonable as you- and then you want acknowledgement for having to change bases, when that could have happened regardless- there's very little gratitude for being bought by us- and in fact- I'm called arrogant for suggesting you ought to be.
I've lived NUTS, I contribute- Ive changed bases for this career, including when I got on here- but you're spinning a very lucky good thing in your career and trying to say its a sacrifice, yes- pisses me off- there are way too many in this world who'd love to be in your position to give credence to that. It's dumb and ungrateful. You guys all want us to forget that you were getting pissed on and voted overwhelmingly to strike. And now swa buying you, somehow isn't good for you. I've actually read NUTS again since this- and I promise- I'm not your problem-
I'm just saying your union delaying pisaes me off- PCL pisses me off and now I'm seeing signs of you Lear, one of the good dudes there, going on to get along and getting influenced by what you guys think you deserve. Why do you think you have this kind of leverage? Why on earth have you convinced yourself that this is a sacrifice bc of some short term logistics you'll have to deal with.
Again- smallest violin... Get some perspective and come in EXCITED AND HAPPY- but you can't take take take from Swapa and say you'll be anything different with swa when your on the list.
My friend, I understand your frustration. Truly I do. But getting mad at me doesn't help.

I'm one of the only people on our private web board even TALKING about the positive way many of the issues were closed up in the language. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the list itself; I think it sucks. So do our Merger Committee members, they'll tell you as much. Just as I know many of your F/O's hate the protections that got built in. There's something in there for everyone to hate. ;)

I understand all of that, but alienating one of the only people who is rationally examining the language and providing a "moderate" viewpoint MIGHT not be the best approach.

Latest resources

Back