Will Atlas get 777s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

Buddy sent me a link to a pprune thread suggesting Atlas will be ordering 12 777s to cover a new DOD contract. First, PPrune is highly suspect - I don't believe half the craaap I read on that website. Also, what about the impact of the sequester? Won't that impact any Atlas contract?

I have copied the post from the Pprune thread:

Just heard from a friend that heard from his friend that works in New York that 12 are on the way to cover the new DOD contract.

31 Aug 2013 16:17

AAWH GETS $171 Million Defense Contract

By Rich Smith
August 30, 2013

The U.S. Department of Defense announced no fewer than 35 separate contract awards, worth a combined $1.78 billion Friday.

A very significant portion of these funds, however, about 32%, was not spent on military hardware at all -- but on shipping costs.

Specifically, the U.S. Transportation Command awarded three contracts Friday, worth $171 million each, to hire FedEx (NYSE: FDX ) , UPS (NYSE: UPS ) , and Atlas Air Worldwide's (NASDAQ: AAWW ) Polar Air Cargo subsidiary to perform a second option year (out of four possible) on their respective indefinite delivery/indefinite quantity fixed-price contracts to perform Worldwide Express 5 (WWX-5) small package delivery services for the military.

All three of these contracts will now run through Sept. 30, 2014.

Incidentally, FedEx won a second defense contract for itself Friday, this being a $49.8 million option-year exercise hiring FedEx to perform "overpacking" and transportation of perishable substances for the Defense Commissary Agency and Defense Logistics Agency.

This contract, which specifically concerns the delivery of "primarily fresh fruits and vegetables," continues FedEx's contract to deliver such produce from the U.S. West Coast to Defense Department locations in Japan, Korea, Guam, and Alaska.

Unless extended further, it will run from Oct. 1, 2013 through Sept. 30, 2014.

So, will it happen? Are there enough 777F airframes available these days?

He's trolling.

Re-read the release. It's a continuation of a contract we already hold. Extension into second option year, out of four possible. Why would we order 12 777s to cover a year-by-year contract worth $171 million that we already cover with jets on property?

I agree with Captain V. However, with rumors, there is almost always a bit of truth to them. Atlas has trained a few B-777 pilots, has written B-777 manuals, has completed a B-777 LOA with the pilot's union, and has reserved N702GT-N710GT which would fit the numbering system for Atlas B-777s. Not sure if we are getting them yet, but we certainly are getting prepared for them.

Bottom line, where there is smoke, there usually is fire.

I fu#*king hate those misleading TROLLS!

Sorry about the inaccurate thread. Would love to see those 777Fs in Atlas colors someday...

I agree with Captain V. However, with rumors, there is almost always a bit of truth to them. Atlas has trained a few B-777 pilots, has written B-777 manuals, has completed a B-777 LOA with the pilot's union, and has reserved N702GT-N710GT which would fit the numbering system for Atlas B-777s. Not sure if we are getting them yet, but we certainly are getting prepared for them.

Bottom line, where there is smoke, there usually is fire.

Whoa there! 2/3 I agree with....but that LOA one you throw out there....you got anything more then just brother's sister's cousin boyfriend's shoe shine guy to back that up??

The LOA is for instructors. To pay protect them at 74 rates for teaching in the 777 program for a couple years. Just like they did with the 76 program..

Last edited:
Whoa there! 2/3 I agree with....but that LOA one you throw out there....you got anything more then just brother's sister's cousin boyfriend's shoe shine guy to back that up??

Per the ExCo chairman on last week's P2P call. As of Wednesday, it wasn't signed, but its very close. We had gone back and forth with the company a while back, then the company dropped it for a while. Although the LOA is almost done, there is no official indication that airplanes are imminent. Doesn't mean they aren't, but certainly the rumor mill is cranking up again lately.

You didn't vote on the 777 LOA for the same reason you didn't vote on the 767 LOA, it only affects a handful of instructors. If it affected a majority of the pilot group, you'd vote on it.

Last edited:
Ahhh, actually, we did vote on the 767 LOA. If it's the one I'm thinking of, unless there were two of them and I only voted on one???????

Per the ExCo chairman on last week's P2P call. As of Wednesday, it wasn't signed, but its very close. We had gone back and forth with the company a while back, then the company dropped it for a while. Although the LOA is almost done, there is no official indication that airplanes are imminent. Doesn't mean they aren't, but certainly the rumor mill is cranking up again lately.

You didn't vote on the 777 LOA for the same reason you didn't vote on the 767 LOA, it only affects a handful of instructors. If it affected a majority of the pilot group, you'd vote on it.

Thanks for the clarification!

Latest resources

Back