Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

superatr

Approaching Decision Height

AMR management has conveyed to APA their desire to make a concerted effort to conclude pilot negotiations this week. Accordingly, APA and management resumed negotiations today at an undisclosed location in Texas and plan to continue bargaining through the weekend.

Along with the APA Negotiating Committee, our Scope Committee, professional negotiator Seth Rosen, ALPA’s Economic and Financial Analysis subject-matter experts, and APA Vice President FO Tony Chapman will be involved in this week’s bargaining sessions. I also stand ready to participate as needed.

To enable the APA Board of Directors to provide real-time guidance and prepare for a potential tentative agreement, I have called for a special board meeting to begin at 1 p.m. Central on Saturday, Oct. 15 at union headquarters in Fort Worth. It is your APA leadership’s responsibility to maintain focus on securing an industry-leading agreement and should this week’s negotiating sessions prove fruitful, we need to be ready to act.

What has changed that could now result in an agreement after more than five years in negotiations?

Recent events such as the spike in pilot retirements, volatility in the trading volume and price of AMR shares, and the additional capacity reduction for the fourth quarter announced on Monday have created a sense of urgency. As part of moving American Airlines in a more positive direction, APA and management need to reach an agreement that is good for our pilots and good for the airline. The current environment may well represent our best opportunity to date to conclude bargaining.

Thank you as always for your continued patience and support. We will keep you informed as bargaining continues.

In unity,

Captain Dave Bates
APA President

Link to Dallas Morning News Blog post: http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/deal-may-be-near-between-ameri.html

Last edited:
TA may be in the works by next week. Personally, I'm not expecting much from what I'm hearing. Good luck to us all... stay tuned.

Of course AMR wants to talk....they have the threat of bankruptcy to beat the pilots over the head with....

Of course AMR wants to talk....they have the threat of bankruptcy to beat the pilots over the head with....

I don't have a dog in this hunt but remember, no matter what the pilots decide - vote for/against, take a strike vote, whatever - the company will do what the company has decided to do. The result of the TA and vote will have not one thing to do with their decision to seek protection.

Why is ALPA involved in this? What do they have to gain? Or are they just an outside hired consultant?

TA may be in the works by next week. Personally, I'm not expecting much from what I'm hearing. Good luck to us all... stay tuned.

I agee JP, for the most part I think people are going to be
dissapointed. I would be suprised if something passes first time around.
I guess we will find out soon enough.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but remember, no matter what the pilots decide - vote for/against, take a strike vote, whatever - the company will do what the company has decided to do. The result of the TA and vote will have not one thing to do with their decision to seek protection.

^^^^^^^^ This.

Latest resources

Back