Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mayoplane

I know it's a repeated thread. I don't want to offend anybody. This is not a flame bait. I just don't get it and I am almost feeling depressed. Why are we hiring people with 215 hours? I don't care who you are, you can only do so much with 215 hours of experience. I don't care if it was the greatest flight school. I don't care if you have a type rating. Why do regionals hire people with so little hours? Someone help me understand this. Are we ready to fly with a person who has 215 total hours in the middle of winter in the mid west? ERI? LGA? DCA? ?? If you have, how was that? Is it really safe? really? I think it's extremely unsafe. This is nothing personal towards people with that kind of hours, but I certainly feel that if you are that person, you don't belong in the right seat of an RJ. I am sorry.

-what regionals are hiring people with just over 200 hours? Why????? I just can't comprehend.

What airline is this? I want to know so I never put my family on them.

215 hours? I thought the few 800 hour guys I had as an F/O back in the TP days were bad. They were decent as long as you had good weather and nothing went wrong. They were pretty much a useless bag of meat in anything other than that.

215 hours right seat of an RJ? This has got to be a joke right.

For ever hour under 1000, the CA should be able to pack an extra grand of fuel on board. Holy crap, that is scary.

I've flown with people who have 3,000+ hours who are horrible pilots with bad judgement. Often it comes down to the person.

I do agree, however, that 200-300 hours is just too few hours. Why can't these people wait a bit and gain experience until they have at least 750+ hours? Even that is pushing it a bit. Are these airlines just too desparate?

KeroseneSnorter said:
What airline is this? I want to know so I never put my family on them.

215 hours? I thought the few 800 hour guys I had as an F/O back in the TP days were bad. They were decent as long as you had good weather and nothing went wrong. They were pretty much a useless bag of meat in anything other than that.

215 hours right seat of an RJ? This has got to be a joke right.

So a guy with 800 hours in a 172 is more qualified than the guy with 200 hours in the same type of airplane?

This will continue as long as RJ's aren't falling out of the sky. The only problem is the RJ's are so advanced they are almost idiot proof. Anyone can fly them.

If I'm not mistaken, British Airways was sending FO canidates to Pan Am a few years ago for all their initial training (0 time to around 200 hours) and then sticking them into the right seat of 73's. I think Lufstansa also does (or did) something similar.

I agree, it is ridiculous. The beginning of every trip I seem to be treated like a complete idiot for the first leg or two until I am able to prove to the person that I am flying with otherwise. I'm no Chuck Yeager by any means, but I was flying jets all over the country for years before I came to the airlines so I'm not completely clueless. I can't blame the captains for being like this since they have to fly with so many 500-600 hour FO's that are still way behind the airplane.

Latest resources

Back