Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If it makes you happy, do it. The low wages sure haven't kept anyone away. You really can't be in this business and achieve longevity unless you have a sincere passion for it. Period. Money or no money, pilots are willing to fly for the going rate.

You know I think that PilotYip has several valid points to offer. Aviation is not for the weak hearted, neither is life. For all of the negative post out there and all of the people who say get out of aviation... I say go ahead, get out of aviation you are one less seniority number for the rest of us to deal with. My father has an MBA and Accounting degree from the University of North Carolina and that never stoped him from losing several jobs because a new manager came to his department and fired everyone. A furlough if you will. Life is not easy so quit complaining all the time.

Also, to keep on track with the inital post... Do you Captains out there think that pilots should fly for a small 121, 19 seater before they go to a regional. I think either that or they should fly cargo but then again I am not in the know.

The title of this thread... WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Who is we? Are pilots hiring pilots? Air Line Pilots do not run airlines. Perhaps some of you need to know your place.

As some stated.. supply and demand. Besides, if I had the opportunity to fly a jet with 250 hours sure I would go for it. The major pilots are pissed at the regionals for flying RJs. the RJ pilots are pissed at the CFI for getting hired 'early'. What is wrong with you people?

Instead of trying to cram the way the world works into your narrow mind, why not accept things for what they are.

Grow. Mature. Expand. Elighten. Read. Think.

Now....let's continue...

As a "I am better than you" pilot you are not going to change the dymanics of 250 hour pilots getting jobs. A safety issue? maybe? can you intelligently make the case? I didn't think so. (I did say intelligently).

Low time pilots are blank pages. They know they are low time. They are ready to learn. Teach them. It is a great opportunity to prevent bad habits from ever being started.

Make the best of it..... That last thing we need is stupid pilots mentoring new pilots....

Last edited:
Rez O. Lewshun said:
The title of this thread... WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Who is we? Are pilots hiring pilots? Air Line Pilots do not run airlines. Perhaps some of you need to know your place.

As some stated.. supply and demand. Besides, if I had the opportunity to fly a jet with 250 hours sure I would go for it. The major pilots are pissed at the regionals for flying RJs. the RJ pilots are pissed at the CFI for getting hired 'early'. What is wrong with you people?

Instead of trying to cram the way the world works into your narrow mind, why not accpet things for what they are.

Grow. Mature. Expand. Elighten. Read. Think.

Now....let's continue...

As a "I am better than you" pilot you are not going to change the dymanics of 250 hour pilots getting jobs. A safety issue? maybe? can you intelligently make the case? I didn't think so. (I did say intelligently).

Low time pilots are blank pages. They know they are low time. They are ready to learn. Teach them. It is a great opportunity to prevent bad habits from ever being started.

Make the best of it..... That last thing we need is stupid pilots mentoring new pilots....

...what Rez said...

215 hr pilots

This isn't bait or to piss anyone off. It's just my experience as a CFI today. I'm not a 215 hr pilot. I'm a butt crack away from 135 mins; but it makes me wonder.........

Today I did an insurance checkout at my school for a renter who was an FO at a large regional. He held and ATP multi, several type ratings, and was still CFI current. The checkout went perfect, and was done with no problems. He departed for a wedding shortly after the checkout, with his other FO buddy from the same regional. 5 hrs later my school gets a call from the NTSB that his A/C went down. After tons of lying and ego protecting the verdict came in: FUEL EXHAUSTION.

I'm not the best trained pilot. I'm not the most knowledgeable. I'm not the most experienced. Shoot, I've never even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

I am a 12 yr ARMY NCO, 3 time combat vet, and understand the value of training and experience. I understand that complacency kills. I've buried people because of it.

What I don't understand are these sily jokers on this site that think that they are god almighty because they are a FO on a 170, or are better than any low timer CFI, or that just because someone is less experienced; means they are less knowledgeable.

I have no idea what and EGT is, but i know what best glide in a seminole is; and its fuel endurance. Am I dumb??? Nope, I know my aircraft and I know well enough that I have no clue about anything on whatever jet he flew. Emphasis on Flew.

They both walked, but I'm sure they will never fly again.

Police your own and quit slamming on some of us low timers. We are not all wonder boys, and those of us that are smart will admit it and learn. Train the trainers, or as i used to tell my soldiers, " teach snakes to kill other snakes." WE have to police our own, and weed out all of the crap. Remember, SH*T floats to the top. Get rid of it before it floats.

My 2 cents worth................... if you don't agree, don't spam the board, but own up and pm me.

Dang gon-it PILOT-YIP I was looking to apply to USA JET this spring when my evil "Training Contract" was up, but I have researched you some. I have a college degree, will that hurt my chances? Whats up with the constant degree thing? Dude you flew in the Navy I assume by the aircraft you have listed, you must of had a degree. So why the negativity?

There is no substitute for experience... like it or not, it has been proven over and over again. Yes, a 300 hr pilot can manipulate the controls, but the experienced based judgement isn't there.
The majors like JAL and even United in the 60's were not upgrading people as nearly as quickly as in the regionals now. A 16 year upgrade was commonplace, so by the time the upgrade finally came, the experience was there.
Lastly, the regionals are usually viewed as a place to gain experience for Pilots. True enough. Unfortunately, they are also a place for dispatchers, schedulers, mechanics, F/A's and middle level managers to gain experience. All these things combined into one decision making pool is a real bad situation.

LuckyDad said:
Lastly, the regionals are usually viewed as a place to gain experience for Pilots. True enough. Unfortunately, they are also a place for dispatchers, schedulers, mechanics, F/A's and middle level managers to gain experience. All these things combined into one decision making pool is a real bad situation.

You're right....

Back in the days when I was with Eagle based out of DFW, the farthest we flew was ICT. Now the commuters/regionals are flying aircraft that are nearly as big as a DC-9 and stealing the longer routes that only the majors had flown for decades.
You're captain always seems to be some 23 year old Ritalin kid.
Where's your experience? Im not saying these guys are not capable of physically piloting the aircraft from point A to point B and some of them, I'm sure, know the systems extremely well and are very "book smart", but again where's the experience level? I guess a perfect example of these punks doing stupid things and making poor decisions was when they took a Pinnacle CRJ up to the maximum altitude to 'have a little fun"...we all know what happened next. It's a given, that about every other flight that I deadhead on nowadays is a barbie jet. The regionals are slowly pushing the majors out.

Dawg stuff

Dang gon-it PILOT-YIP I was looking to apply to USA JET this spring when my evil "Training Contract" was up, but I have researched you some. I have a college degree, will that hurt my chances? Whats up with the constant degree thing? Dude you flew in the Navy I assume by the aircraft you have listed, you must of had a degree. So why the negativity?

No negativity only a personal opinion. I feel you get a better start on a flying career by flying airplanes, not sitting in a classroom. Having a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane, it may be fun to get, it may make you smarter, it may give you the basis for a different career. But why would you want that if you want a flying career? At USA jet most of the pilots we hire have a college degrees, because almost everyone has one. But it does not enter into our hiring decision at all.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back