Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Alchemy-"As modern tranport category aircraft become more and more fool proof (GPWS, configuration warnings, EICAS messages, FMS "Check Baro Set", Flight Directors, Alitutde alerters, autopilots), they are increasingly easy to operatee. The job can now be safely carried out by relatively inexperienced pilots. Non-Emergency decision making can be easily supplemented by conferring with Dispatch via ACARS.

This does not bode well for the profession. As experience counts for less and less, eventually a trained monkey will be able to fly an airliner, and ultimately, pay will dwindle until the airliners will fly themselves, probably by the year 2080. The profession "airplane pilot" will eventually go the way of "telegraph operator".

That is so true. The laws of supply and demand are in effect; the easier it is to fly the more people can do the job. Our biggest weapon is our unions and holding the bar high, which is tough given that people are willing to fly for nothing and have SJS.

KC-1 this is still a great career where else can a high school grad have good shot at making near $100K by his mid 30's? Only on a pilot board would 100K be sneered at as lowering the bar.

mayoplane said:
I know it's a repeated thread. I don't want to offend anybody. This is not a flame bait. I just don't get it and I am almost feeling depressed. Why are we hiring people with 215 hours? I don't care who you are, you can only do so much with 215 hours of experience. I don't care if it was the greatest flight school. I don't care if you have a type rating. Why do regionals hire people with so little hours? Someone help me understand this. Are we ready to fly with a person who has 215 total hours in the middle of winter in the mid west? ERI? LGA? DCA? ?? If you have, how was that? Is it really safe? really? I think it's extremely unsafe. This is nothing personal towards people with that kind of hours, but I certainly feel that if you are that person, you don't belong in the right seat of an RJ. I am sorry.

-what regionals are hiring people with just over 200 hours? Why????? I just can't comprehend.

Because they are the ones willing to take the pay that comes with it

pilotyip said:
KC-1 this is still a great career where else can a high school grad have good shot at making near $100K by his mid 30's? Only on a pilot board would 100K be sneered at as lowering the bar.

That's true, it is still a fairly well paying and enjoyable career. But with the current trends of the "Wal-mart"ization of airlines, increases in automation and a huge supply of pilots willing to fly for less, there's the potential for airline pilot pay to decrease alot in the future IMHO.

Dash8301, its kind of a stretch to imply that the only pilots willing to work for the current wages are the low time guys. Another couple thousand hours isnt going to change much as far as accepting pay rates. There will still be a line for the job. If thats not what you were referring to, and i misunderstood you, then I take back my statement towards you. The low time guy didnt negotiate the pay rate prior to, then apply for/accept a job flying for low wages.

alright, so she probably had 10 or so multi, and no she didn't fail the sim, she failed OE. After about 60+ hours......literally.

FlyBunny said:

Remember, the American 747 pilots who missed the Taxi way at Tenerife (March 27, 1977) and contributed to the worst aviation accident in history.

American has never operated 747's, Pan-Am and KLM were involved in an accident at Tenerife. Is that the one you meant?

Remember the American pilots who flew the airplane in the bridge and river near DCA in 1982 – the F/O was the F-15 (Reserve I think) pilot.

American did not crash into the Potomic in 1982, That was Air Florida. I do not know anything about the F/O, but since you got the airline wrong, I have my doubt's about your accuracy on the subject.

Bunny

;) :)

Latest resources

Back