Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How'd she only have 2 hrs multi? Don't you need 5-10 just to get a multi license?

Where'd she get dinged... ...the sim, right?

Out of these foreign carriers that people profess about hiring a 200hr wonder. How many of these wonders actually go straight into the right seat for t/o and landing. The majority of these guys are cruise crews meaning they are nothing more that auto-pilot babysitters and high speed radio operators.

Remember the Gulf Air A320 crash about six years ago on approach into Bahrain?

The F/O was an ab-initio pilot, hired with 0 hours. Gulf Air paid him for all his training, etc, and he was RIGHT SEAT on the A320 with 200 hours total time.

At the time of the accident, he had 400 hours on the A320, so about 600 hours total.

One of the factors of the crash was a lack of CRM, and the fact that the F/O never really spoke up when he should have.

Look at page 12 of the official report:

http://www.bahrainairport.com/caa/gf072/pdf/factual-information.pdf

It is not the time that makes you experienced. It is the stupid stuff you do and the lessons you learn. I am still don't know everything I should, and I know that 200 hr pilots are not experienced enough for airline flying

601Pilot said:
Send your stuff to ASA; we are taking anyone with a heartbeat at the moment.
I heard we hired someone with 180 hours, but I have yet to verify that. I
assume he was Part 141.

LOL, last I checked it was 250 hours for a commercial ticket part 61 and 190 hours part 141. You mean you're hiring people who are still private pilots? What has this industry come to? :nuts:

"Are we ready to fly with a person who has 215 total hours in the middle of winter in the mid west?"

If you're not, then tell your CP and DO that you're not and refuse to fly with someone who has 215 hours. You will find out who they would keep: A 215 hour newbie or someone with thousands of hours like yourself.

On the second thought...I might have misunderstood your questions which you may have directed at your own ability whether you can handle someone with so few hours due to their experience or your own prejudice towards those who got hired with lot less hours then you and me.

Fly Safe!
Bunny

"Remember the Gulf Air A320 crash about six years ago on approach into Bahrain?

The F/O was an ab-initio pilot, hired with 0 hours. Gulf Air paid him for all his training, etc, and he was RIGHT SEAT on the A320 with 200 hours total time.

At the time of the accident, he had 400 hours on the A320, so about 600 hours total.

One of the factors of the crash was a lack of CRM, and the fact that the F/O never really spoke up when he should have."

Remember the American Airlines pilots with amazing CRM skills and many thousands of hours who ran the plane off the runway at Little Rock?

Remember, the American 747 pilots who missed the Taxi way at Tenerife (March 27, 1977) and contributed to the worst aviation accident in history.

Remember the UAL crew (three very experience people) who ‘ran out of fuel’ near PDX?

Remember the American pilots who flew the airplane in the bridge and river near DCA in 1982 – the F/O was the F-15 (Reserve I think) pilot.

NUMBER OF HOURS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HOW GOOD YOU FLY! QULITY SUPERCEDED QUANTITY.

And how about the FedEx (MD-11 I think it was) that crashed and burned because the (very experience pilot) simply didn’t align the airplane on the runway in strong cross-wind and the captain was unable to take the corrective action either.

I rest my case!

Bunny

As modern tranport category aircraft become more and more fool proof (GPWS, configuration warnings, EICAS messages, FMS "Check Baro Set", Flight Directors, Alitutde alerters, autopilots), they are increasingly easy to operatee. The job can now be safely carried out by relatively inexperienced pilots. Non-Emergency decision making can be easily supplemented by conferring with Dispatch via ACARS.

This does not bode well for the profession. As experience counts for less and less, eventually a trained monkey will be able to fly an airliner, and ultimately, pay will dwindle until the airliners will fly themselves, probably by the year 2080. The profession "airplane pilot" will eventually go the way of "telegraph operator".

Last edited:
IHaveAPension said:
Because they have demostrated that they can handle it.

and....because they'll take it up the ass when contract neg's come...why? because they just came from flying flight sim to a regional jet and dont care about the pay..

FlyBunny,

Please give the statistics a rest. You won't ever prove your point by showing that pilots sometimes crash airplanes, and that some of them have tons of experience. Everyone knows that already. There is a lot more to the story.

There's no way to report, statistically, how many times every single day that captains keep green, low-time FOs from doing something stupid. Or from wetting themselves. Ok, just kidding about the wetting thing, I admit it was uncalled for! ha ha ha ha I digress.

Actually, there's a lot of weak captains that need the support of strong FOs. When I have seen this, usually the FO has a strong background in something that honed their decision making skills. Those FOs know what's up because they had some practice being a PIC.

Seriously, the only ones that ever say that it's a good idea to put extremely low time pilots in an airliner are other low timers. It's not a knock, it's a perception thing. I thought the same thing when I had 300 hours.

Remember when you were 17 years old? You knew it all, and your parents were way too "out of it" to tell you anything. Next thing you know you turn thirty, and you can't stand the music on the pop stations. Ah, there I go.

I don't mean to offend or discourage anyone from pursuing their goals however they see fit. I'm just trying to keep it real.

More cowbell? Ding!

Latest resources

Back