• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B747FR8DAWG

GIANT 747
Plane lands safely after pilot scare

Medical problems led to impairment
Monday, June 05, 2006 BY CLAIRE HEININGER AND SUSAN TODD
Star-Ledger Staff
A Continental Express pilot became incapacitated yesterday while en route to Newark, forcing the co-pilot to take control of the plane carrying 34 passengers, officials said.

The co-pilot landed the plane safely at Newark Liberty International Airport at 9:54 a.m., said Kristy Nicholas, spokeswoman for ExpressJet Airlines, which operated Continental Flight 1215.

The pilot "could not perform his duties" to land the aircraft due to medical problems he sustained during the short flight from Boston, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Murray said.

Though he was able to walk off the plane with help, Murray said, the pilot was hospitalized shortly after the flight arrived.
Nicholas of ExpressJet Airlines said he was expected to be released yesterday evening. She and Murray declined to release the pilot's name or details of his medical condition. They also would not identify the co-pilot.

"The plane only needs one pilot to land, and that's the reason they have two -- so that if one needs medical attention, the other pilot can step in and land the aircraft safely," Nicholas said. "Basically, this was a typical landing. The story really is that all 37 people on board safely arrived at their destination in Newark."

Another Continental pilot who was riding in the plane's jump seat but was not considered a flight crew member helped the co-pilot land the plane, Murray said.

Information on Flight 1215 -- including a list of crew's names -- had been removed from Continental's computer program within hours after the incident, said an airline employee who was not authorized to release information and requested anonymity.

The official crew members aboard the plane, which left Boston at 8:53 a.m., included the pilot, co-pilot and a flight attendant, Nicholas said.

Well...technically speaking the jumpseater was riding in the back and came to the front at the FO's request I'm sure. He was a company check airman from waht I understand.

In any event, point taken, it's always nice to have an extra qualified pilot on board.

Capt Al Haines of United 232, the DC-10 that crashed in Sioux City, also enlisted the help of a crewmember riding in the back. In fact, Capt Haines has said that the original crew would not have had nearly as successful an outcome were it not for the additional help.

Great job!

You know, that's every private pilot's secret dream. The FA makes an announcement... Are there any pilots on board? You know the rest.

But did the FO perform the first step of the unofficial incapacitated CA checklist:

"Somebody get that guy out of MY seat!"

Reminds me of the TWA MD-80 that clipped the C412 at night on 31R in STL. It was the JS who initially saw the Cessna, which only had it's taxi light on. No position lights, no beacon. The CA was able to swerve mostly out of the way. The wingtip was severly damaged, but no fuel leak. The 421 pilot was decapitated.

Could have been a lot worse had the JS not been there.

Hopefully nothing that endangers his medical.

On the lighter side, possibly be on the lookout for a thread titled "Diarrhea in an RJ"?????

Hopefully nothing that endangers his medical.

I would guess on at least a short term basis his medical might be in question. At least until the feds were satisfied whatever happened was either treatable or a one time occurance (ie. food poisoning).

But agreed. Hopefully no permanent harm to his medical. God forbid we are all one incident, or exam, away from being grounded.

This has always been one of those little worries way in the back of my polluted mind. It doesn't take much to "incapacitate" someone especially when it comes to food poisoning. I had to call the ambulance for my wife last year because she was vomiting and convulsing so badly that there was no way she would make it to the hospital in either one of our vehicles, and all she had was some bad chicken for dinner that night.

Just don't have the fish, mmmmkaaaaaaayyyyyy...........

Latest resources

Back