Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why VFR pilots NEVER should fly into IMC!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd never heard that before, and nearly flipped out when I heard the callsign:

N9#15 Lima

Couldn't hear the second digit until later, as the controller kept calling him "one five Lima". I thought it was my own beloved Grumman AA-1B, N9915 Lima, sold 18 years ago. Part of me felt sypathy for the dude, but part of me was saying "You idiot, don't bust up that neat little airplane. WTF are you doing in IMC in a VFR airplane?"

I'm amazed he keyed the mike while spiralling out of control. Glad he made it, and good job by the controller.

You guys that are so quick to critique this pilot's frantic radio calls, I've just got one question for you... HAVE YOU ever been there?? IF not, then how the heck do you know that you wouldnt act the same way? This guy's a non instrument rated private pilot, with probably not too many hours, has just flown into IMC, has tried to turn around and in doing so, has lost control of his aircraft and entered a stall/spin condition, steep spiral, or rolled inverted. If you'll notice in thelast recording, he states he saw a tower go by on his left side, so you know he was VERY low when that happened. He thinks he's going to die, so I can understand why he's screaming into the mic at first. Inexperience and sheer terror took over when what he really needed to do was get on the guages and fly the airplane, THEN make a radio call. Yeah, this was a bone headed mistake that could have been prevented, but regardless, if you havent been in a position like that, dont judge. The guy was probably about 10 seconds away from becoming another FAA statistic, and he knew it. Probably the HARDEST and best lesson he will EVER learn. I'm just curious how many of you that are quick to ridicule this guy's reactions have ever been faced with a REAL life or death emergency. Sitting here on an internet message board and SAYING how you'd react is a whole different ballgame than actually facing it in real life.

Last edited:
Yeah, that recording does sound kind of scary. Sometimes its necessary to consciously act calm and slow down. Panicing is probably the worst thing you can do at that point. Your judgment and ability to follow directions goes south.

I'm wondering what the conditions were that led up to this stumble into IMC.

Yeah, I was kinda wondering about the conditions prior to the incident myself. I'm thinkin' he probably took off and was flying in marginal conditions to begin with, and just got closed in.

Menno Mulder said:
At one time the controller sad, set squack to 7700 if you have a transponder..... but why is that so importand. i assume there are more importand things to do, like flying the plane and keep it level and straid.

ps. Sorry for possible grammer mistakes, I am just a boy from Holland

To answer your question about "squawking 7700", it makes it much easier for the Center controller to find the correct airplane. Of course airplane control comes first.

DC

oke thank you !

miles otoole said:
The controllers keep saying he's in IFR. What does this mean?

Better yet, what's a "VFR PILOT"? I never heard of a VFR pilot's certificate.

FN FAL said:
Better yet, what's a "VFR PILOT"? I never heard of a VFR pilot's certificate.

Oh puh-leese, if you don't know what he means you're pretty dense. I'm sure "VFR Pilot" is a lot quicker to say than "Non-instrument rated pilot".

Also, its "KWYJIBO"

-drinkduff

Ah, the good ole 9815L tape, the pilot was a decent pilot just not in this case. He has been around the Chicago area for a while now, the 172 comes into PWK all the time and is based out of westosha. I let all of my new private pilots listen to this tape, actually I make all of them listen to this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back