Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why VFR pilots NEVER should fly into IMC!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
drinkduff77 said:
Oh puh-leese, if you don't know what he means you're pretty dense. I'm sure "VFR Pilot" is a lot quicker to say than "Non-instrument rated pilot".

Also, its "KWYJIBO"

-drinkduff
I don't care what non-certificated pilots call me, when I can't hear what they are saying.

I've heard a real one over NC about 10 years ago. It's a horrible feeling knowing some guy got in way over his abilty and has a high probability of dying. The one I heard was similar, the guy was trying to be calm, but he was also begging the controller to help him to find clear air. We got a freq change and didn't hear the outcome, but I later heard he ended up a fatality near RDU.

First time I ever entered IMC it was turbulent all the way down to breaking out about 700' agl to land. It was about 10 mins. of hell trying to stay on the localizer then glideslope. Had virtigo, the leans and all the panik associated with it (without saying a word - instructor was on board). After that experience every time I was back in choppy IMC during my instrument training I was fine. I guess it's one of those things, when your body senses something strange it's never felt before, a bad kind of chain reaction starts. I think I know exactly how that guy felt. Spacial disorientation was so much more intense then I could have imagined it to be. I suggest to my private students that if they really want to be a "safe" pilot than they must get instrument rated.

Menno Mulder said:
At one time the controller sad, set squack to 7700 if you have a transponder..... but why is that so importand. i assume there are more importand things to do, like flying the plane and keep it level and straid.

ps. Sorry for possible grammer mistakes, I am just a boy from Holland

Code 7700 on the transponder is the emergency code universally. All of the radar coverage stations across the US are set so that if they ever pickup a code 7700, bells and whistles will go off. That will also allow that particular radar center to be able to get a hold of that location and send out search and rescue to that position.

miles otoole said:
The controllers keep saying he's in IFR. What does this mean?

IFR = Instrument Flight rules

Usually when they refer to "instrument conditions" it means that they are in the clouds and have no visual reference to what attitude/position the aircraft is in. That's when the pilot has to rely on their instruments 100%. If they are only trained to use visual reference, then a lot of times they are screwed since they get disoriented REALLY fast.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back