Why there's a good chance of a future pilot shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

What if major airlines, like UAL, come to your high school, interview you if you have a Private, and hire you? Is that a shortage?

cliff
NBO

What hiring boom? I think you (like most pilots on this forum) are confusing hiring boom with hiring at all.

When I get multiple offers from FedEx, Delta, Southwest, UPS, Continental, etc. with signing bonuses and pay that AT LEAST matches that of a first year UPS first officer then I will concede that there is a hiring boom.

But as long as you have to beg for a job and accept low first year pay with no health benefits after paying dues for a decade, I will just call it hiring.

This.

I don't think your definition is realistic, but then again this is FI. Anyone else care to define hiring boom, 3 times the hiring of today? 10 times? Is it 1967, 1977, 1987, 1997, 2007? What defines boom?

When people stop applying at ******************** hole operations like yours!:laugh:

Hi!

What if major airlines, like UAL, come to your high school, interview you if you have a Private, and hire you? Is that a shortage?

cliff
NBO

cliff, this isn't 1960 when the majors experienced a growth spurt that could never be matched ever again unless fares become free! You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think that this would ever happen. Yes it happened before, but that does not necessarily mean its going to happen again...

Just as it's unfair to paint the entire regional airline pilot group as unsafe and inexperienced, it's unfair to paint the entire FAA as being "in bed" with the carriers and always ruling "in favor of the airlines".

Really, when is the last time that the FAA has done ANYTHING to help the commercial pilot? They try to keep us and the public safe, regulate our companies, make rules that sometimes don't make sense, but in the end is that suppose to give me a warm fuzzy that I know the FAA is looking out for me as a pilot. Of course not. They give airlines a free pass whenever they can because they know that they are part of the infrastructure in this country. A 10 million fine to SWA or American regarding Mx issues is merely a slap on the wrist. I am not saying the ENTIRE FAA is in bed with carriers, but it's a generalization regarding the agency as a whole, and it's true, you know it, I know it, and ever other airline pilot knows it.

Hiring boom is definitely coming. You have to be about 10 or so right now to feel it and tell future generations how easy it was, how you have all the toys, home all the time and a Captain and the major at 25.

The future generations will grow up drooling about airline careers and get hosed like 35-45 year olds at the regional right now.

There will be a shortage. The best time to get qualified is when there is gloom and doom and there is no hiring going on. Peace Out!

Latest resources

Back