• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY there is a strike vote at DL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We are in an era of Brinksmanship in management-labor relations.

Each side, in negotiations, has to have a plausible hammer to gain any ground (or stop losing everything)

Do I think a strike could happen?? YES

We should all think strike is a possibility as it will help EVERYONE working in the industry.

When you take the traveling and make it not pay off, people go back to bumming in the reserves, mortgage brokering, government employee or almost anything to escape the uncertainty. Look at the bonuses they have to pay for managers to come over/stay because the company is in dire straits. The guys I know who don't want to leave aviation at Delta are the one's coming over SWA and going to FDX.

I was always unsure if that "Holding the Line" mantra was a truism or BS post '90s, but I believe it this time.

God Bless you guys/gals at Delta. I pray and believe it will turn out well.

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Sounds good, excpet everything they want is VERY IMPORTANT. What would you do? ALPA said we aren't flying without a contract, or without importatnt protections. If it weren't so bad, why have we started the strike talk and opened the strike center, with a strike vote pending? Sounds like it is important, and the things they are demanding are way over the top. We won't allow it. Comprendo?

Bye Bye--General Lee

I hear ya General. A lot of what is on the term sheet is over the top. Same thing going on at NWA and Mesaba. I only wanted to clarify that the entire contract isn't simply thrown out where mgmt can just start disregarding the CBA and making up rules as they go along. That is where you were wrong. Only what is on the mgnt term sheet is imposed while the rest of your CBA remains in full force.

Last edited:
I support Delta pilots 100 percent. If your going to go out, go out fighting.

SplitBar said:
I hear ya General. A lot of what is on the term sheet is over the top. Same thing going on at NWA and Mesaba. I only wanted to clarify that the entire contract isn't simply thrown out where mgmt can just start disregarding the CBA and making up rules as they go along. That is where you were wrong. Only what is on the mgnt term sheet is imposed while the rest of your CBA remains in full force.

You are probably right. And, they do want everything that is good, and we won't allow that. Thanks for the clarification.

Bye Bye--General Lee

SplitBar said:
General, again, the entire contract isn't thrown out. It doesn't become a free for all for mgmt to do whatever they want and throw away the seniority list. ONLY what was on mgmt's final term sheet is imposed by the BK Judge.

Unfortunately that is not true. An 1113 motion is not a motion to amend a CBA, it is a motion to reject a CBA. Once the contract is rejected, it no longer exists, and you become a non contract employee.

General,
you may still loose everything in arbitration. No matter who ALPA picks to be an arbritratior it is still a wild card and I would guess that what ever you get will be worse then what you could have negotiated. Look what happened to the Alaska guys. Good luck with everything because what happens to you will trickle down to the rest of us

Hello to all;

This is my first post although, I have followed many threads especially "the General"s "...I am an 18 yr Delatoid...I will strike...why...certainly the 1113 is a big issue. Most of the pilots I talk to also feel the senior management is incompetent!!! Months ago a CNBC "talking head" asked Herb Kelleher about the Delta situation, he wouldn't comment simply because he was fully aware just how lousy a job mangement has done. Enough said, I will stike.

Guys, listen to yourself..."if you go out, go out fighting!"... This is critical stuff Delta is coping with, not worthy of a cliche ridden cheerleading section.

And General, I'm looking for clarification. You earlier stated "...Those are all VERY important, and I am willing to sink this thing over SCOPE alone." By 'sink this thing,' do you mean allow Delta to enter Chapter 7?

If so, does this means that you are willing (via potential cause and effect) to allow Delta to liquidate due to a strike? I simply want to understand your context here.

So--and again I'm just trying to understand your logic, not throw stones--that means that you are willing to cause Delta to cease operations because of the implied actions managment could take if the contract is abrogated, scope included.

So---everyone is out of a job, simply because of an implied--and thus far non-articulated--threat to change the scope rules? Even if everything else in your current contract were to be maintained?

SplitBar said:

This is completely incorrect. The 1113 granted motion allows management to impose whatever conditions they deem appropriate.

catIIIc said:
General,
you may still loose everything in arbitration. No matter who ALPA picks to be an arbritratior it is still a wild card and I would guess that what ever you get will be worse then what you could have negotiated. Look what happened to the Alaska guys. Good luck with everything because what happens to you will trickle down to the rest of us

In arbitration they can only vote yes or no on the 1113c process, yet we have it in writing that we can still strike. This is NOT binding arbitration.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back