• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY there is a strike vote at DL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All the best to everyone at DAL and NWA. You are in for a roller coaster ride; all of you have my support, no matter what you decide.
In retrospect, we were lucky at UAL that we didn't have to deal with management teams that were not willing to negotiate and ruthless enough to try to extract every ounce of life from its' employees.

For those on this board critical of the actions of DAL and NWA's pilots, just be glad that you have the luxury to be an armchair quarterback. They need our support, not our criticism. No matter which path they choose, there will be more than a few who will be critical.

Good luck to every employee of DAL and NWA.

jetfo said:
A brief strike at both NWA and DAL would actually be good for both airlines, ALPA and this industry and would not spell ch7 or liquidation.

Those could be the consequences of a prolonged strike, which is highly unlikely. There are too many stakeholders that would prevent that.

Liquidation of either carrier would be VERY BAD for this industry. The defunct airline's aircraft would be quickly painted in some brand new startup's paint colors, we'd have a bunch of new jobs paying first year pay, and consumers would get another taste of Independence Air ticket pricing.

Jetsetter said:
So are you a Delta pilot or not ?? answer the question or stop spouting BS.

einstein is chuck yogurt/lawman reincarnate....just look at all his 21 posts....15 are slams of Air Tran or DL...SOS DD for this loser! It just gets old!

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy said:
Liquidation of either carrier would be VERY BAD for this industry. The defunct airline's aircraft would be quickly painted in some brand new startup's paint colors, we'd have a bunch of new jobs paying first year pay, and consumers would get another taste of Independence Air ticket pricing.

Possibly, but let me be the devils advocate here. I would agree completly a few years ago but I think now, management of all carriers are going to be very aggressive against new entrants. Including the LCC's intruding on their turf.

Bethune and Carty made a critical error dismissing JetBlue's effect on revenue impact out of the New York area during their start up phase. Mullin and Allen (?) did the same with AirTran in Atlanta and both of these carriers have eroded the market share by aggresive pricing and a providing a good product.

This is a lesson no one learned before about a dinky little airline with a corndog paint scheme in the 70's that everyone ignored. After all, they were only flying from Love to Hobby and I think Austin? That being said, I don't think anyone is gong to allow this to happen again. History has been repeated twice already with well run, financially sound and funded start ups.

Now, the problem is obviously not a cost side of the equation issue. The song and dance about costs have been taken to the limit and management has crushed the unions in every showdown. Just like a spoiled child, they ended up getting everything they wanted and then some. We are at a point with the effects of cost cutting on labor, the job is not worth it anymore. Should Delta or NWA tank, it will fix a revenue issue by taking supply of seats out of the market thereby driving prices up. This has always been the heart of the problem with the industry today. The inability to increase revenue because of excess capacity. It has never been a cost problem but a revenue one. When your cost go up, you charge more.

Maybe now these elitist management types will learn their lesson.

Last edited:
decimation of companies on resume`s for mgmt

How quickly management has forgotten the loyalty and dedication of their work force that stood behind Delta and helped build it into a business that could have done great things. Greed from the upper eschelons has once again demonstrated that short sighted goals only serve those that they are designed to serve... not the community, not the stock holders and certainly not the thousands of dedicated personnel that have spent their lives making a company that they were proud of. (Remember the aircraft that were purchased by the employees...too bad management does not.)
I hope that the pilots groups stays committed. There is no way this management will allow it come to a strike. They have too much to lose in way of their stock options. They are all drooling over the opportunity to make millions when they exit bankruptcy. (See United's management stock options and the rate that they are selling it off as the value drops.)
Best of luck to Delta pilots and their families.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back