Why the RJDC is sooo nervous

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NYRANGERS said:
The animosity is comming from pax who can either fly on an rj or a A320, B717, B777 etc, etc. The fact that they are choosing to fly on bigger aircraft ...
...People don't like the rj's anymore, period (unless it serves as their only flight out of their little towns, in wich case they are fortunate to have air service).
As has been pointed out many times, people will fly on the airline that gets them to Grandma's house the cheapest - THEY DO NOT FLY BASED ON WHAT AIRPLANE SERVES THE ROUTE. I have commuted on an MD-88 and passengers got on saying "what a small airplane!" Has anyone ridden on Southwest? Not exactly the paragon of comfort and convenience, yet people will stand in lines that stretch to the next terminal and wait in line to fight for their window seat just to save $10 bucks over Delta or American or whoever.

To the average passenger the aircraft doesn't matter, only the price does.

climbhappy said:
Why do all these industry consultants think that the end of the RJ revolution is about to happen?.
Aren't these the same ones who said it would never begin?

And no, not all of the industry consultants think that. I think you're confusing Boyde with those who research for reasons other than just to see how many times they can read their name in the paper.

Whoever started this thread has no clue what the RJDC is doing. This would fit in the "propaganda" file.

73belair said:
Its all about the preception that people have. They would rather be on a 30 year old 737 than a 2 year old RJ. They don't know the difference. They see small and think its bad.
That e170/190 will kick some ass. Doesn't look small to the pax.

This is exactly correct. I don't think the comfort level of an RJ is that different. I dont like it, but I am fairly tall. However, when I walk on an RJ, I see small and I immediately think it will be less comfortable. Perception is reality folks, and the perception (though not fact) is that an RJ is less comfortable.

General Lee said:
We all know that an RJ on a 3-4 hour flight is NOT comfortable for any passenger.

Bye Bye--General Lee
Not that comfortable for the folks in the very front seats either! After working a couple of those 3 hour flights, I realized that while the manufacturers may have made the planes with the range for the 3 hour flights, evolution only gave me a 2 hour a$$.

JI Gone OH said:
I find it funny how aweful these airplanes supposedly are, how the passengers hate them, how high there CASM is, blah blah blah, yet the number of registered RJ's keeps climbing year after year.

Perhaps the General (who obviously despises the RJ) could educate me as to why the number of RJ's continue to skyrocket when everyone seems to hate them so much. As much as you and I wish they would go away, face it: They're not going away anytime soon.

Deal with it!
Seems to me, another industry that dictated to the customer that it should like it's products, found itself reeling from the backlash...the US automotive industry.

What does this article have to do with the RJDC? Again, someone showing their ignorance of what the RJDC is doing, and why they are suing ALPA. I would explain it again, but you won't believe me or even listen to me, so why bother. And, you didn't even make an effort to tie the RJDC in with what you were talking about.

On another note, I have noticed a lot of people actually like rj's. They like the fact that they can get out of them faster, and they are quieter than many mainline aircraft. I see so many people get on and say, "this is a little plane." Then when they get off, they say, "this is nice, what kind of a plane is this?" Yes, passengers are ignorant on many aspects of our job, but I think they are given wrong ideas by the media. Just watch the new show "LAX", and you will know what I mean.

No one likes being in a seat for long hours. So...what makes time go by? Entertainment. How about installing satellite radio in our RJs and even that big sexy ATR. Yes I know...it'll add wt., something new for catering to run out of (head sets). But it would make things more attractive for our pax.

Just an idea

I thought I heard that Airtran was putting in Sirius.

skydiverdriver said:
On another note, I have noticed a lot of people actually like rj's. They like the fact that they can get out of them faster...
Imagine that...they can't get out of an RJ fast enough?

Apparently, ASA's passengers are complaining about being bored rather than cramped on those long 3+ hour flights.

For those of you who want to complain about rj's not being the right equipment for a route I would remind you that the customers can vote with their feet. It seems as though they are still flying with DL. Until that changes, there is no legitimacy to the rj being too small.

And yes, I too have passengers comment on how small my rj is as well as that MD-88 is that I commuted on earlier that day! I guess that the MD-88 ought to be included in the "shouldn't fly longer than 2 hours" debate.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back