• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why so many Red Arrow days ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, it doesn't make sense. I read the crew informer from Popolizo and if our ratio of reserves is so much higher than other airlines then why is all this happening? Why are reserves working pretty much everyday and why do we have all the red arrow days? Something is fishy. That's all i'm saying.

They could guarantee hoes at every overnight and BJ's every turn through the hubs and PBS would still be a bad deal. DON'T DO IT. Trust me, it got shoved down our throats in the "scamruptcy" and it's quite the turd here.

A little difference here. We've been able to negotiate for what is on the table. There is nothing out there like what we will have if it passes. We've been able to secure additional raises for the contract extension, increased vacation credit, the ability to run bid solutions while having mutual consent before the results get published, access to a computer to build lines and submit input (in writing), a cap on four day trips and the list goes on. How does that compare to what you got when MAIR filed that scam?

Well, it doesn't make sense. I read the crew informer from Popolizo and if our ratio of reserves is so much higher than other airlines then why is all this happening? Why are reserves working pretty much everyday and why do we have all the red arrow days? Something is fishy. That's all i'm saying.

Someone has been fitted for a hang man's noose up there. You are right, something was fishy and that person has been found out. I am hoping a good outcome with this since the higher echelons are apparently pi$$ed about what happened. We'll see come next bid cycle.

Question: If the company suddenly manages to kick out a bunch of three day trips, would it make PBS more palatable?

Someone has been fitted for a hang man's noose up there. You are right, something was fishy and that person has been found out. I am hoping a good outcome with this since the higher echelons are apparently pi$$ed about what happened. We'll see come next bid cycle.

Question: If the company suddenly manages to kick out a bunch of three day trips, would it make PBS more palatable?

Answer: No, because there are no long term guarantees. Have you ever heard of "Bait and Switch" or "The Camel getting his nose in the tent?"

Part of the benefit to them in building so many 4 day trips is that not many Regular Pilots can pick up another 4 day trip. Thus, it goes from Future to Current Open time where it can be assigned to a Reserve Pilot. This process helps in the goal of leveling the flying--spreading out flying more equally across the pilot group, but specifically, assigning it to someone who is already getting paid guarantee. It effectively reduces payroll costs. Even if a Reserve Pilot exceeds guarantee, he is probably at a much lower pay rate than a Regular Pilot that may have picked that time up.

We have all the Red Arrow days for several reasons. First, they have to plan for coverage of those same 4 day trips, or any trip in Future Open Time that is coming down the pipeline and ends up in Current Open Time, in addition to estimated sick calls. Another reason could be that Reserve Pilots are trading or swapping Reserve Days around. Red arrow days are simply an early warning that they are at, or near the minimum Reserve coverage for that day. It does not mean that a swap will not be approved, but most likely, very few, one, or none.

They are trying to force flying down, which is exactly what PBS does by setting limits on average line values. They are just doing it manually. In addition, if open time is being held back or not approved when it should be, this forces that flying down to Current Open Time, where it can be assigned to a Reserve Pilot.

Latest resources

Back