Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P-F-T

Los said:
[Y]our training as a radio host must have allowed you to develop and harbor the stearnest opinions. I can't seem to get you to cop a plea on the pft issue
It has nothing at all to do with covering news or hosting talk shows. I encountered P-F-T after I did radio. P-F-T is an employment issue only.
Specifically what I have heard most about helicopters suggest that pound for pound they are much harder to fly than their FW equivalents (ie mtow, passenger load, max speeds, etc).
Read my comments above, if you have not already. I do not believe we disagree regarding helicopter pilots' ability to fly airplanes.

This is really a long-standing issue. I recall articles from the 1990s in Career Pilot magazine that addressed the difficulties helo pilots face in airline hiring.
Bottom line is that there are times and situations where PFT may be good . . .
I know of no such situation, and, if you are proposing P-F-T . . . .
For the folks who enter the biz a little later in life . . .
I would still disagree, strenuously. I was one such person. I got my first full-time flying job at age 37, as an ERAU instructor. With that job, I built enough time to finally warrant commuter interviews. A lot of older people who change careers feel that they are "owed" and merit extra consideration, and use that to justify P-F-T. The only thing that anyone is "owed" is the same consideration given to everyone.

I am sure that much younger pilots would protest by way of their hiring board blackballs, especially when they put in the years and to build their quals sufficient for hire.

Finally,
Why would a well qualified candidate, BUY a job?
That's been my point as well. I previously presented how I stood at a crossroads after those interviews and the direction I took.

Last edited:
Los said:
.............I must side with 46 Driver on this one. ..............................................

cut and paste. Methinks you rotorheads protest too much. You guys react like someone has accused you of incompetance. Remember, this thread was about paying for a JOB. Not about competance of helo pilots. Ya'll are way too touchy.

But since you offered up on the subject, I'll ask you this: Why would a well qualified candidate, BUY a job?

enigma

Enigma

view my earlier threads, I have illustrated at least one way to Gulfstream it without spending a penny. Would you still consider this PFT???

I guess you don't read very well, I can't have a discussion of wits with an unarmed man.

If so I want to de-license your doc because he failed to note that you are a blind as a bat.

See above text.

Bottom line is that there are times and situations where PFT may be good, even the toughest critic will acknowledge this if he reads my post objectively.

Wrong, I'm not even the toughest critic and I will not acknowledge that there is a time when PFT may be good.

As we all know the majority of cases PFT is bad, I can think of a couple of my former students to justify this, but to blast this thing as a wholesale evil just because you were lucky enough to get in a different way is WRONG!

I wasn't LUCKY enough to get in another way. I waited until I was qualified under the prevailing standards of my day. Unlike those who deem themselves so important that doing wrong is ok because they're too good to wait their turn.

For the folks who enter the biz a little later in life standby I will work on your case next, I want to clear the military helicopter pilots first.

I've spent a great deal of time sharing a cockpit with retired and ex-Army, Navy and Airforce helo pilots. I was raised close to one of the Army's largest helo bases, and most of my college professors were retired Army rotorheads, and I believe that I can speak fairly authoritatively for them and tell you that your position about their need for affirmative action would just piss them off, ROYALLY.
My first good job was given to my by a retired military rotorhead. He is also the pilot who taught me that no pilot worth his salt would EVER pay for a job. FWIW, Not knowing any better, I offered to buy my own type, he later told me that my statement almost cost me the job. He only hired me because he recognized my immaturity in the job market. Had I pushed the buy a job theme, I would not have been selected. BTW, the job was higher paying than any regional airline job at the time.

The pilot who hired me for the best job I ever had was a retired Airforce rotorhead. I have since been lucky enough to spend a great deal of time in his presence and have discussed this issue at length. He has absolutely NO use for anyone who would buy a job. He was EAL and considers PFT'rs on the same level as scabs.

OBTW, have I said this lately? Why would a well qualified candidate, BUY a job?

enigma

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back