Why No Foam on Runway for JetBlue Landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
From what I have heard foaming the runway has almost become a thing of the past.

Luckily I have never needed it.

Exactly right. They don't foam the runway anymore.

It was proven to be useless.

Edit: Hey pilotyip, if you're out there, this is the kind of thing they teach you when you get an aviation degree.

Last edited:
FreightNazi said:
I heard on TV that the crew did an autolanding, that's why it looked so good.

Your days on flightinfo number in the single digits my friend.

He has posted this exact response 5 times. check his posts.

CitationXDriver said:
Gotcha, all makes sense. Now who makes this call on the foam?? Im assuming PIC can trump anyones call for foaming the runway?
FWIW, I remember reading a few years ago that the charge (back then) to foam a runway was $50,000. (Who knows what it would cost now?) Someone gets to pay the bill and it's normally not the insurance company. If "they" elect to foam the runway then "they" get to pay the bill. If you ask to have the runway foamed then the bill is your problem.

Knowing that there are many light aircraft accidental gear-up landings each year and that there is relatively little airframe damage, I would be personally inclined (with the concurrence of my banker) to forego the foam. Now if I was back 60 years ago, flying a shot-up warbird, with fuel leaking out of a bunch of bullet holes then I'd probably ask for the foam.

'Sled

Last edited:
so this is a stupid question, but once a runway is foamed, do they just hose it off the runway with water later? does it eventually break down due to the sun/rain, or do they send bulldozers/snow plows out to push it off? i've never dealt with it before.

cforst513 said:
so this is a stupid question, but once a runway is foamed, do they just hose it off the runway with water later? does it eventually break down due to the sun/rain, or do they send bulldozers/snow plows out to push it off? i've never dealt with it before.

Look at some of the earlier posts in this thread. Foam is no longer used.

However, back when they did use foam I would have no idea how they would de-contaminate the runway.

yes, i do suppose that actually reading the thread would prevent me from looking this dumb. lesson learned! :D

FreightNazi said:
I heard on TV that the crew did an autolanding, that's why it looked so good.

For Gods sake, how many forums are you going to say that in???

Latest resources

Back