• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is the ATP written such a Joke?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you explained the ATP written to a CPA, Lawyer, Engineer or Doctor they would be appalled. Those fields actually take knowledge testing seriously when licensing individuals. Their tests require months of studying to have any chance at success. Some people still can't pass after multiple attempts. That means that the tests are doing their job by eliminating people that aren't and never will be qualified.

The fact that any pilot can attend a two day course and pass the ATP written with a 90% or better proves the test is not effective. At best it tests literacy and memorization. Why doesn't the FAA take knowledge testing seriously? Why are the questions made available? Is there any other way stupid people could be prevented from becoming commercial pilots? It seems that once they are licensed someone will hire them. They are usually easy to get along with and great people, but you can tell that they are in over their heads and no amount of experience will make them competent.

The problem with your analogy is that the ATP is not even on the same level as the MCATS, Lawyer tests, and other career type tests. The ATP is more on par with a drivers license written at your local DMV. If you crack open an MCAT, in order for you to answer correctly you need to have paid attention in school starting at the elementary level.

As someone has already said, this industry is self regulating. If someone is incompetent it's a good bet that they will not make it to a professional cockpit.

I think everyone has made a valid points about testing but a lot of these comparisons are apples and oranges. Everyone likes to jump on the doctor testing bandwagon but even with all that testing there are still MILLIONS of dollars in malpractice suits filed. My point is the idiots will always find a way to get through. Ask the public if Captain Sullenberger had enough testing. He took the same EASY test that you did. Seems like he was prepared.

As someone has already said, this industry is self regulating. If someone is incompetent it's a good bet that they will not make it to a professional cockpit.

If this were only true. After all they only have to be competent to pass the test once. After that they can get as dumb as their company (or fate) allows. And at some companies - no one ever fails. So it is fate that is the selection process.

If this were only true. After all they only have to be competent to pass the test once. After that they can get as dumb as their company (or fate) allows. And at some companies - no one ever fails. So it is fate that is the selection process.

If someone is not capable of making it, they will not make it. From experience, some people are just destined to fail. It's not fate. No company however relaxed they are in training can fix stupid.

If someone is not capable of making it, they will not make it. From experience, some people are just destined to fail. It's not fate. No company however relaxed they are in training can fix stupid.

So what about the flight schools that if the check clears - you pass?

As a former FAA Ops Inspector I can say that not having the FAA review log books is a mistake. I probably averaged 1 or 2 a month, of all the logs I reviewed, that were falsfied. It was usually pretty easy to spot. The self-certification now and the written test examiner's review of the log book is a real joke. Printing all the possible test questions is also a joke. You might ask what happened to the logs I found that were falsified? Those pilots were given an option, in most cases, to come back with a corrected log. I didn't have to do that and would have been in trouble if management knew it. I was able to generally put the fear of the FAA into the applicant to do it right but if they insisted on giving me something that I was able to prove was false, their pilot certificates were revoked.

Latest resources

Back