• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is the ATP written such a Joke?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
250 hours to fly boxes, where the only person in jepoardy is the pilot.

1200 to teach another person, and hold his life in your hands, doesn't seem unreasonable.

I dunno... a 207 or single pilot 1900 filled with chemicals, radioactives, POLs, or biological hazmat could do an awful lot more damage than a CFI who gets behind his student....

-TF

Whenever I had biological hazmat, I assumed the worst and thought I was hauling HIV or Ebola.

Avbug, I'm not complaining about the ATP written being easy for me. My issue is that it is easy for everybody. If you are literate, english proficient and have some free time you will pass.

Good post above about the ability of some pilots succeed despite their incompetence. My company hired some of them in 2007, but now that hiring has slowed down we were able to replace some of them with quality pilots. The best and brightest usually aren't attracted to part 135 freight unless it's the only option.

I'm not complaining about the ATP written being easy for me. My issue is that it is easy for everybody. If you are literate, english proficient and have some free time you will pass.

Yes, you can breeze through nearly anything if you take the easy way out. If that's all your flying and career mean to you, then perhaps it is a joke to you.

Like I did with my mechanic tests, I spent a year preparing for the written (and it was a written, when I took it), and a year preparing for the practical.

I did the same for the mechanic tests...after a number of years of practical experience, I spent a year documenting the experience in detail, a year preparing for the writtens, and a year preparing for the practical.

Others take short courses and get it done quickly, and to them its probably a joke, just like your pilot certification is to you.

It's not that way for all of us, and some of us actually take it seriously. In the end, it's not the standard to which the FAA holds you, but the standard to which you hold yourself. I find that when I get in the cockpit with someone, the difference shows.

I at no point meant to insinuate that my pilot certification was a joke to me. I do hold myself to a high standard. My employer and the people I fly with can attest to that. I like flying turboprops full of freight and I have a thorough knowledge of all the regulatory and performance aspects relating to the kind of flying I do. I can squeeze every last mile of range out of a shorts and make sure I'm legal and safe while I'm doing it.

I definitely agree with your opinion of short courses. I administered myself a 5 day self study self taught CDL course which resulted in me earning a CDL. Later as my semi was going sideways down an icy road I was pretty sure I could have benefitted from some better training. I never put the truck in the ditch, but scared myself a couple of times. Despite a couple of rough days it was a great part time job while I was instructing. Given the economy I might be back in a truck before I know it.

Just remember this important fact from the Flight Engineer written Test: Battery acid burns much like household Lye. Do not get it on your clothes.

Latest resources

Back