Why is helicopter time ingored?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lookin4better

I DO understand they are slightly different, but why not count the time?? For example some companies dont count it at all? SWA JB.....not sure about others.....

I guess I dont get it.....maybe an R22 is not, but a turbine helicopter is just as complex as a King Air, or Beech 1900.....many others.....just a curious question. :)

I know some places DO count it.....but again....just curious

Right now, they don't have to take helo pilots. Every time the supply gets a little tight, rotary time is just fine with HR.

Kind of like a 4 year degree. TC

i guess that makes sense :)

Kinda makes me laugh when I see it in ( ) ( exluding helicopter and simulator time)

like its fake time or something

always makes me smile a bit ;-)

It works with the current CAL mins, any idea if DAL,AA or UAL recognized it at all?

Last edited:
Spaz, yeah obviously FW time is required, but to count C-152 time in a day VFR traffic pattern and not count multi crew, multi-ship time in a highly complex airframe (UH-60,AH-64, CH-47, CH-53, CH-46 etc) is lunacy.

Again, RW time is deffinately NOT a substitute but is much more demanding than any kind of GA piston single. You are flying in a crew environment between 5-200 AGL for hours at a time at night, in formation etc etc bla-bla.

and it's also a he!! of a lot more fun... starch wing flying is soooo boring

Yes, it is true that the modern helicopter is as complex of an aircraft as most airplanes, it's not the aircraft complexity the airlines care about. It's the type of flying that the airlines are looking for and helicopters don't routinely go above FL180 or in and out of Class B airspace on the ILS to minimums several times a day.

It's the type flying, not the complexity of the aircraft.

Spaz, yeah obviously FW time is required, but to count C-152 time in a day VFR traffic pattern and not count multi crew, multi-ship time in a highly complex airframe (UH-60,AH-64, CH-47, CH-53, CH-46 etc) is lunacy.

Again, RW time is deffinately NOT a substitute but is much more demanding than any kind of GA piston single. You are flying in a crew environment between 5-200 AGL for hours at a time at night, in formation etc etc bla-bla.

and it's also a he!! of a lot more fun... starch wing flying is soooo boring

you NAILED IT!!

I wasnt saying that one day a helo guy deceides to fly for an airline and walks into the office with a resume......I AM saying, with a few thousand hours of FW ( jet) time , why not count the RW time ALONG WITH this time? Becuase companies use PIC time to see if a person can lead, safely make decisions, not break their aircraft, and do it in any situation.....( which , if you can do it at 50 ft above the trees you can do it anywhere !)

Like I said.....I am just curious :) .....the places that matter to me DO count it.....so no worries here.....but its interesting how some places seem to WRONGLY outkast it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back