• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is FL180 the fixed TL in the US?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because we in America invented aviation and we can make the rules!!!

Exhibit A: "The ugly (and , oh BTW ignorant) American."

Ecuador is a bit unusual in that transition altitude/level is at 20,000'/FL200 (IIRC) at Quito (UIO), but 3,000'/FL030 at Guayaquil (GYE)

Terrain clearance at the low atmospheric pressure is the correct answer for countries to determine transition levels within their air spaces. In Japan for example, it is 14,000/ FL140 due to clearance with Mt. Fuji. In the eastern Caribbean in Guadeloupe's air space it is 8,000/FL080 if I remember correctly

Perhaps the world doesn't really revolve around SWA after all

Perhaps because other countries came to the conclusion that a measuring system based on the dimension of the limbs of a dead monarch was a silly Idea, I tend to agree.

QFE is still used in some areas, Dalian China is an example

Agree with you 100%. I remember being in grade school, (Nixon years) they were pushing the metric system. They said we'd be there in a few years.:erm:

I am on my way to Spain in a few hours. The TL is 5000'. There are mountains well above that in Spain (look at the terrain north of Malaga)

Funny you say that. That is exactly what happened to me. I should have stopped believing in that god stuff back about when I stopped believing in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Now I sleep in on Sunday mornings! :cool:

oops, thread drift......carry on
how about an 11:00 service?

Yeah, its unusual in the US system in having a fixed trans. level and trans. altitude as well in that we have "lowest usable flight levels" when pressure is below 2992.

Other places around the world there's sufficient a sufficient stagger between trans. level and altitude to mitigate the issue.

What about Mexico, where transition altitude is 18,500 feet, while transition level is FL195? Why the discrepancy?

>> Other places around the world there's sufficient a sufficient stagger between trans. level and altitude to mitigate the issue. <<

Most of the rest of the world does not have the traffic volume we do. They can get away with a few wasted altitudes where we need every flight level we can get.

Latest resources

Back