Why is FL180 the fixed TL in the US?

CaptLeslie

Total Time
Why is the transition level fixed at 18,000 feet in the US?
This is not the case in most other countries. Europe is considering having a fixed level. Some have suggested 10.000' while others say – lets do the same as the US.
Is there anyone who knows why we decided to select exactly 18.000 feet in the US (and not another fixed number)?

Bjammin

Cease Buzzer
Total Time
>6000
I think FL 180 will give terrign clearance over the abosolute highest elevation in the continental US under very low atmospheric pressure.

CaptLeslie

Total Time
:) Thanks - just the kind of answer I was looking for!!
Any others?

clippyrip

Total Time
I fly in Alaska and 10,000 feet would not cut it. I'd smack into some very hard clouds (cumulo-granite ) if it were at 10,000 feet.

AV1ATRX

That is all.
Total Time
Bjammin is right. It's based on terrain. That's why in Europe it's lower. In the Netherlands is 3000 feet, for example (IIRC). They just don't have mountains the size of the Rockies there.

GuppyWN

Total Time
Maybe the question should be "why isn't everyone elses TL 180?"

Gup

SVA_402

Total Time
-
Why would you question such a thing!? That's like going to church for 10 years and then saying wait, so why do we believe in this?

LR25

Its just a vintage VW
Total Time
Why do other countries us Meters?

QFE?

QNH?

etc.

I was told by some old timers that Eastern back in the day used QFE, any truth to that?

PeanuckleCRJ

Hurrrrrrrr
Total Time
mucho
AA used QFE up until a few years ago.

Donsa320

Total Time

QFE?

QNH?

etc.

I was told by some old timers that Eastern back in the day used QFE, any truth to that?
'Tis true, and AA did too, among a few others. Only the advent of glass cockpits sort of put an end to that. I guess the programmers told them to shove it! <grin>

waka

Emasculating the Right
Total Time
4?

Gup
Maybe when we get enough smarts to go metric, then they'll consider it.

waka

Emasculating the Right
Total Time
4?
Why would you question such a thing!? That's like going to church for 10 years and then saying wait, so why do we believe in this?
Funny you say that. That is exactly what happened to me. I should have stopped believing in that god stuff back about when I stopped believing in the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Now I sleep in on Sunday mornings! :cool:

oops, thread drift......carry on

Dumb Pilot

Total Time
Terrain clearance at the low atmospheric pressure is the correct answer for countries to determine transition levels within their air spaces. In Japan for example, it is 14,000/ FL140 due to clearance with Mt. Fuji. In the eastern Caribbean in Guadeloupe's air space it is 8,000/FL080 if I remember correctly

Gup
Perhaps the world doesn't really revolve around SWA after all

QFE?

QNH?

etc.

Perhaps because other countries came to the conclusion that a measuring system based on the dimension of the limbs of a dead monarch was a silly Idea, I tend to agree.

QFE is still used in some areas, Dalian China is an example

legalalien

Total Time
8600+
China and a few of the old USSR countries still use Meters. Its a pain in the *ss especially when you fly an old steam gauge aircraft and they give you approach altitudes in QFE meters!

SFR

Pilot Guy
Total Time
Why is the transition level fixed at 18,000 feet in the US?
This is not the case in most other countries. Europe is considering having a fixed level. Some have suggested 10.000' while others say – lets do the same as the US.
Is there anyone who knows why we decided to select exactly 18.000 feet in the US (and not another fixed number)?

Because we in America invented aviation and we can make the rules!!!

crj567

Gup
Because they are weak and stupid.....Soon the wild dingos will eat them all.....

dalad

Total Time
10000+

Gup
You're an idiot. period. I can't believe you were stupid enough to hit the post button. get out of your LUV world and see the world dumb a**.