Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is Express Jet Bothering with LOW TIMERS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

about time

I for the life of myself don not understand why my employer hires these low time pilots, when you have qualified people on the street such as my brother and sisters from Indpendence Air. I am happy that our training department is cracking down and getting rid of these inexperienced pilots.
We had this idiot from Hawaii in my class who was let go from training after failing his checkride, all the while I was thinking "yep another no experience pilot taking a seat from a qualified person." It just gets to me when one my experienced friends can not get on here, but they will hire Mr.Aloha,(by the way good luck at getting on with another 121 outfit Aloha boy, IT WON'T HAPPEN). I quess what I am trying to say to the low timers out there is that don't expect any breakes here, I mean seariously it is not that hard to fly a jet. I can't wait til I get to do interview one day, stand by!

about time,

If your airline says that the qualifications for employment are 600/100 (which I agree is a little light) then thats what the req's are. If they make it through the same training you did then how are they not qualified when they interviewd and trained by YOUR company? There are plenty of people with more time that fail out of airline training too.

My sim partner in initial had never been above 10,000 feet in his life and he took to flying the CRJ like a duck to water and nailed his/our PC. Some people get it and some dont.

Point being, if "low timers" can hack then congrats and more power to them!

mamba20 said:
about time,

If your airline says that the qualifications for employment are 600/100 (which I agree is a little light) then thats what the req's are. If they make it through the same training you did then how are they not qualified when they interviewd and trained by YOUR company? There are plenty of people with more time that fail out of airline training too.

My sim partner in initial had never been above 10,000 feet in his life and he took to flying the CRJ like a duck to water and nailed his/our PC. Some people get it and some dont.

Point being, if "low timers" can hack then congrats and more power to them!

I agree, if they can pass the PC and IOE, then they should be ok. Maybe the interview should be a little more demanding, like having to do a sim profile.

I always felt the same way as the original poster. When I was instructing, sometimes students would come in with student loans to pay for their instruction! Haha! To think that I would have to teach some gutter rat who doesn't even have rich enough parents to create a trust fund for his or her whims is revolting. Luckily, I invested in a noseplug to remove their laborious odor as I taught them how a real gentleman flies. I don my cape and board my limousine now that I am a wealthy regional pilot, and forget those awful times.

I agree that there are a lot of low time pilots getting hired. But from a management standpoint, economically they feel that there will be less turnover with lower time pilots. If the low time guy meets the standards and makes it through probation,etc. then he is qualified.

NYCPilot said:
I agree that there are a lot of low time pilots getting hired. But from a management standpoint, economically they feel that there will be less turnover with lower time pilots.

Good point, with the current hiring boom going on and the rapid ugrades at ExpressJet, I understand their concern.

about time said:
breakes here, I mean seariously it is not that hard to fly a jet. I can't wait til I get to do interview one day, stand by!

Seriously, how hard is it to spell breaks and seriously! But what do I know, I'm just a low time jet pilot!!!

"Rapid upgrades going on at XJT" ??? Sarcasm maybe? Anecdotal (sp) evidence but most of the pilots I've met who are currenty upgrading were hired just prior to the 9/11 era.

The 600 hour guys from ATP's seem to do fine, more power to them. I wish I could've been hired with those times. I think a lot of that has to do with them being accustomed to a fast pace of learning which positions them to do well for more firehose type training. Either that or those near jet speeds that seminole accustoms them to!

Latest resources

Back