• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
oh horse puckey. when companies get rid of people, it's just that. they don't want them back.

You maybe right in some cases. In ours, we were told that we would be brought back (some unknown list) as staffing needs warranted. We weren't fired. We received a generous severance package. There may have been some that would not be asked to return but not all 19.

Anyway, it's academic at this point. AT&T was a good job when I was there but I wouldn't have returned due to my opportunity overseas. it would be hard to leave a great G550 gig to go back to T.

Cheers-

Rum

Exactly, Rum. In fact at least one of "the people they didn't want back" to paraphrase the false assumption posited previously....actually got pulled off the surplus list before the move because one guy who was kept decided not to move to Dallas. I would say virtually every pilot furloughed is worthy of recall. There are some great people in that list. Many are better off, so that's good. Not sure about all though.

It was a numbers game for most who were let go, especially the bottom 12 or so. Politics was well above the junior third of the group. It had no bearing on things for that bunch (it sure helped Slats, Heyyyy, and one or two others though). When you wipe out half your fleet overnight, well....

If the fleet had not been cut nobody would have been let go. And, yes, they did let a guy go long before the furlough because he wasn't up to the job. The list had much less to do with the quality of the people on it than it did seniority, at least until you got to the higher part of it.

My point is they would be better served recalling the good guys like you, CRJ, JO, etc. than street hires. Not that you would take it... Good people are leaving there in big numbers. Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
The list had much less to do with the quality of the people on it than it did seniority, at least until you got to the higher part of it.

Let me clarify as I do not wish to insult anyone on the higher end of the furlough list, either. Good people there, too, clearly.

".....(H)igher part of it where politics played a larger role."

Last edited:
You maybe right in some cases. In ours, we were told that we would be brought back (some unknown list) as staffing needs warranted. We weren't fired. We received a generous severance package. There may have been some that would not be asked to return but not all 19.

Anyway, it's academic at this point. AT&T was a good job when I was there but I wouldn't have returned due to my opportunity overseas. it would be hard to leave a great G550 gig to go back to T.

Cheers-

Rum

yes, I too was "let go" from a similar job and with a great severance pkg, it's semantics. I was fired, so were you. and no, I wouldn't go back either.

The story is nobody was fired. All were told the would be able to comeback as others left. One guy asked the CP, and was told no. HR wouldn't allow it because of the severance package. Then a guy who quit, actually quit, calls his buddy Asst CP, and they do some secret Navy hot bunking and poof, no HR problem. Guess it didn't sit well with a lot of people.

If anybody was on the fence about staying at At&t they probably are looking now. Raises or lack of raises for most came, out and it was pretty bleak. Management doesn't like pilots discussing such matters, but everyone e talks. Senior guys got zilch to very little. The young guys got a couple percent. This is after they got zero raises a few years ago. Folks are liviid.

Like I wrote before, I remember thinking I was mid to low paid Falcon pilot in my fancy Brooks Brothers. I figured I would be ok since I was with a Fortune company. How wrong I was! Thank God for being "surplus"...

Lesson here, always have a resume ready to go out in a day. Keep your logbook updated and copies of your current training!

If anybody was on the fence about staying at At&t they probably are looking now. Raises or lack of raises for most came, out and it was pretty bleak. Management doesn't like pilots discussing such matters, but everyone e talks. Senior guys got zilch to very little. The young guys got a couple percent. This is after they got zero raises a few years ago. Folks are liviid.

Spirit, UAL and Spirit are hiring, FYI. Sounds like they won't give raises until most people decide to quit. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back