Why is Airways sucking up?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fins:
Your point on another thread about APLA being a monopoly was interesting. How about the idea of all regional pilots (or are we small airline pilots now?) get together, form a class action lawsuit, and sue ALPA national over monopolistic practices and mis-representaion of "small" airline pilots.

(1) Well, unions are a legal monopoly. There are exemptions in the antitrust laws for collective bargaining. Unions are allowed to allocate labor. However, they can not legally control the tools, methods, or technology through their collective bargaining agreements.

(2) Every pilot group which wished to file a duty of fair representation claim would have different allegations and be in different jurisdictions. However, you could use the same Counsel that other pilot groups are using to reduce your costs and get more effective representation. The first step is to organize your own pilots, which is not easy since the company and the MEC are not going to assist. The RJDC would not have come together without some terrific pilot to pilot leadership & a good cause. However, that is all the RJDC is, pilots and a vision.

ALPA's grievance filed on behalf of the Delta pilots to furlough ASA and Comair pilots was a turning point. The litigation filed by the Comair pilots will soon be joined by other lawsuits in other jurisdictions. It is likely that one of these suits will include allegations that ALPA is illegally attempting to restrict the tools and technology embodied in the small jets that are flown WO subsidiaries.

Last edited:
JetProp said:
How about the idea of all regional pilots (or are we small airline pilots now?) get together, form a class action lawsuit, and sue ALPA national over monopolistic practices and mis-representaion of "small" airline pilots.

Some of us at TWA already inquired about the possibility of suing ALPA for poor representation. We were told that we can't sue our own union. I guess it's kind of like suing your doctor for malpractice -- while he's still treating you!

We were told that we can't sue our own union.
Let me guess - an ALPA attorney gave you that opinion. However, in your situation it might not do a lot of good...

TWADude,

Its not a "niche" that RJ's fill. Its going to be over 50% of the entire market.

You continue to make the same mistake that most people do. You think the RJ is some fun cute little puppy that will sit in the corner and never get bigger or misbehave. Like a puppy the RJ will get MUCH bigger and it is guaranteed to make a mess of your carpet.

I just toured the new ASA CRJ 70 today. While it is only 20 more seats. It, and its sister the CRJ90, are setting a trend that will result in the demise of all Mad Dog and narrow body Boeing aircraft.
And they will do it using poorly paid regional pilots. I don't post this to stir a debate but I just can't understand why mainline pilots don't see the CRJ ( 50 -70 -90 and soon to be 100+ Dornier/Embraer models) as the industry threat that they are. These aircraft will enable mgmt to shift a large portion of the flying to the regionals who have significantly lower labor costs.

You have to stop thinking of RJ's as 50 seat aircraft. They are going to be 100 seats in 2 years. And don't tell me about scope. Its dead.

Everyone is making excellent points from their own perspectives.

What I see, as what happened to us at CAL in 83, there were a huge number of highly qualified ex ALPA pilots willing to cross our line. The potential for this is simmering once again amongst the highly qualified RJ pilots within our union and industry. I shudder to think of the next mainline group that walks for an extended period and a management team gets the idea of operating with scab pilots.

I got flamed for my logic, but I see the same thing happening again only over different circumstances. I am not trying to make excuses for actions people take, but there is a real problem developing here in this industry that goes far beyond the RJ issue.
People are getting very angry over actual or perceived actions taken by their union and it creates bitterness and resentment towards the mainline pilots and MEC's.

The question is, and it must be addressed....how much of the resentment will cause people to cross an ALPA picket line in the future? Unless you've lived through it, don't discount this possibility with the same tired scab rehtoric.

I say combine the lists and band togethor for OUR common goals of improving and maintaining our wages and working conditions.
The RJ is nothing more than the old DC-9-10's and 737-100's of the 60's. If it is paid accordingly and the pilots are on the list of the mainline...what is the problem here? Management throughout the industry is defining the RJ battle lines while we keep shooting at each others foxholes.

As far as USAir, there are many examples of their MEC's actions which angered people (i.e. EAL asset purchase issues). But they are no different then anyone else that their goals were to protect their own. Misguided in the overall scheme of things? Perhaps, but like UAL they made the mistake of thinking that the downfall could never happen to them. And that type of thinking is fatal.

Shields up, flame away.

Boeingman:

No flames - actually I respect and appreciate your post. You are brave enough to speak the truth.

After re-reading Flying the Line I & II, it is obvious this is the weakest ALPA has ever been. The source of this weakness is the fostering of alter ego airlines combined with ALPA getting intot the role of allocating who gets growth and who does not.

As you know the Delta MEC has filed a grievance to have me fired (in the name of protecting their contract - which was negotiated illegally to begin with). Do you think I would support a Delta strike over their contract?

You simply speak the truth that others are afraid to say.

Respectfully,

~~~^~~~

Boeingman:

You raise a good point regarding picket lines. I for one will never cross one (a pledge I made to myself when I got in this game). But I think the fact that ALPA forgave and forgot the CAL scabs will make it easier for some to cross lines in the future.

I've been in ALPA for 10 years. I'm as rah rah as can be for the good of the cause, however I am also aware that the union itself is as kinky and potentially sleazy as any employer. Consider the following:

A couple of years ago I was at ALPA HQ in DC and noticed a handbill on the wall. It was placed there by the unionized office workers of ALPA who were in contract negotiations. The letter complained, (of all things), that ALPA management was attempting to invoke merit based advancement. Do you believe that? Merit based advancement!? It seems that the higher ups at ALPA national wanted the cultivate their own stable of boot lickers there at HQ. Never mind the fact that those same people would never allow merit based advancement on airline properties. Facing the embarrasment of explaining pickets outside it's national office, ALPA backed down, and bagged the idea.

ALPA is a business. Big airlines are big revenue and get special consideration. That is causing the regionals to get restless. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see the regionals picketing ALPA over mainline scope restrictions, or coming up with their own union. One that represents all of the people who's dues they collect.

rjcap said:
Its not a "niche" that RJ's fill. Its going to be over 50% of the entire market.

You're right, I hadn't though of it that way. Quite obviously airline management will do anything they can to use cheaper labor. Here at AMR the future fleet plan is to have AA fly nothing smaller than 737-800s. The MD80s will continue flying for a long time but there's no announced replacement for them (...Eagle).

So the question is, how will ALPA and APA deal with management's nefarious plan? IMHO a single list is inevitable along with realigned pay scales that increase linearly from small jet to large jets, as opposed to the huge bump we have now.

What else might happen?

Well actually 50% of the domestic market but.... That 50% requires many more airplanes, which means more pilots, to carry the same number of revenue seat miles.

At current growth rates in 2000, small jet pilots would have exceeded mainline pilot numbers in 2005. ALPA would have had a revolution since the democratic process would put the power in the Connection and Express's of the world. (And as we have agreed, ALPA Democracy has no limits - it is MOB RULE. Well ALPA does not want the wrong Mob to get control)

We have argued and I think proven, that scope constraints are not helpful for the mainline pilot. Airlines without scope constraints have grown faster that airline with tight scope. (CO,DL,AA v/s U, UAL) So if scope does not benefit the mainline pilot, why was it ALPA's #1 negotiating push? CONTROL

This is why ALPA is pushing scope. It is not about protecting and promoting mainline pilot careers. It is about control.

Scope is simply small jet pilot birth control. It is ALPA's attempts to keep them from being born and aborting the ones already conceived.

Read this report prepared for the IACP and see if you disagree with my economic analysis. Of course, this was developed independently of the RJDC, but now we have APA, IACP and the RJDC all reaching the same economic conclusions.

http://www.spamhouse.org/sterileboydreport.zip
http://www.spamhouse.org/sterileboydreport.pdf

What ALPA is missing (aside from any economic reality) is that another way to control the small jet pilots is to put them on one list, meaning one MEC. By inclusion, instead of exclusion, the mainline pilots could regain control, become more powerful, and restore the union . It is a shame that arrogance and greed is all that stands between all pilots standing together as one union.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back