"Why haven't I been called?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tnkplt

To the best of my knowledge there are no glitches associated with sorting or retrieving the apps. Anytime any of us get a new computer it takes us awhile to get the hang of things, where files are, new features, features we didn't even know we had & much more.

The same is true of any new project like this one I'm sure. The system I've been told has lots of features that aren't being used yet but to the outsider all that matters is "when do I get the call?"

The variety of folks who have been called ranges from folks who haven't applied before Jan 12 '04 to those who have had apps for quite sometime, probably some 2nd or 3rd time interviewees (yes SWA does that also). Military and civilian but all that will change as the months go by. There are many folks who don't visit here & probably don't get too worked up about it. That's probably not a bad thing. Its like sitting in the ER room on a Friday night & trying to figure out why everyone is getting called in before you even though you may have been there the longest...the nurses/drs have their own criteria.

Despite the facts some folks relate this to a "life or death" situation, it is still only a job interview process & SWA is working their way methodically (I didn't say fast) through the apps so hang in there, your time will come to shine. I posted some things awhile back that will ease some of the stress of when you get the call that folks can be acquiring now so when you do get the call you'll have them already & not stressing. Consider the "egg hunt" for these items:

1. Copy of HS diploma, GED or transcripts
2. Copy of College diploma or college transcripts
3. Copy of First Class Medical
4. Copy of Driver's license & passport (unexpired version)
5. Copy of both sides of your ATP certificate
6. Three good letters of recommendations (minimum)

I'd also read the book NUTS if you haven't already done so, Lamar Muse's new book (a slightly different view of the airline) and The Southwest Airlines Way which is more of a business primer comparing SWA to some other legacy carriers from a statisctical model standpoint (a PE major like me could even understand it).

Again thanks for the kind words, we all have our warts, SWA too (except for my wife of course!...she occasionally reads over my shoulder I have to be careful) but someone once told me you get the most out of life when you are helping others achieve what they desire in life & in my case that has been true.

BTW, if you are furloughed & are skeptical SWA won't give you a fair shot please consider that SWA has hired many furloughed folks in the past & have some of those in the new hire classes as we speak....much of your success at getting hired will be your attitude when you come to interview. Solid flying career is a given these days but take a look at yourself in the mirror & ask yourself honestly, "who is the most fun person I enjoy flying with & why?" Then write those attributes down on a piece of paper & rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 5 & see how high you'd rate yourself on those same attributes. You'll have a pretty good start on what your strengths & weaknesses are. Good luck & God Bless,

Chase- Can you answer my question under the thread topic "How do I rec my buds" when I get to Dallas for the April 12th class?

You always have good replys to my questions.

Thanks

HI CHASE!!

It was very nice meeting you last summer at HPA (end of June/beginning of July).

Your post on this subject is very welcomed by the masses. Many of us are wondering what are the numbers for the winning lottery ticket.......

I have done everything that I am "supposed" to do and decided to enjoy my time in the interim. Took a new flying job, enjoying the schedule (or lack thereof), and smelling the Lilacs.

Your posts also contain a sense of humor and realism that many identify -- and I am also convinced that your calling should have been "Counselor" versus pilot.......

Take Care & Fly Safe

Applied at SWA June 2000
Interviewed May 2001
Class Date April 2003
Get off probation in 6 days

That's almost 4 years. It's not easy, it's aggravating as he!! sometimes. Just keep your nose clean because it was worth every second of it.

Differences

As Indapool said the wait can a tremendous test of your patience...nearly 3 years from app to walking on the property.

Will it take that long for you?

It is entirely possible for the following scenario to play itself out:

> folks who applied on Jan 12th electronically, got called for Mar interviews
> class dates for some of them may occur as early as Jun '04

What can one say about those folks? (whoever they may be)

"I want to be them!!" Of course!

There are those who have had apps in for quite some time & won't get called for awhile. I would expect the majority of typed folks who have competitive hrs (some above just the mins in both PIC & total/turbine time) will be called before those who have just the mins without types, however again that is pure speculation on my part.

The important thing is that regardless of your position continue to be prepared to get the call, don't be scrambling at the last minute to get your references together, scrambling for address of the credit check folks to check your credit....logbooks, if you can't hand your logbook or paperwork over to someone with some flying time & have them decypher your logbooks to see when you reached the magical hours/time for the SWA mins, then you need to re-look at doing it over....if they can understand it you have made it good enough for the interview team at SWA who are the folks you're trying to please. Also, make sure you break out your IP time from your PIC time. IP time is also PIC but having a separate column for IP time is good. Also for those in military, time flown in a training aircraft, T-37,T-38, etc. is not fighter time...it goes under jet/transport time on the flying summary sheet (this is additional paperwork to fill out once you are called for the interview).

Good luck. For those HPAers, I'll say to hi to Mark & Joe, I'm going for lunch today, back to the ballpark for free food!!!! What a deal!!! Another reason to choose HPA!!! later,

Indapool said:
Interviewed May 2001

Also may show the importance of the type. I also interviewed May 2001, without the type, but I signed up for a type class before I had heard from the Board. Jumped out and took a "little" chance as I would have only lost about $1400 if I dropped out of class due to bad news. If you get the offer from SWA you have 6 months to get your type. After my call from SWA I was in class in 4 days. Like I said I signed up for class before I heard from the board.

Interviewed May 2001

Class Date Feb 2002

Latest resources

Back