• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why go to ERAU??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERAU is a fine school, although very easy to get into. I would recommend it for Aerospace Engineering, they have a good program. Their civil engineering program which focuses on airport development is top notch also as is their electrical engineering. If you want to be an EE their are way better than ERAU on the same note. When i was a senior in HS (1993) - I was looking for an aero space or mechanical engineering degree. ERAU was my second pick behind the AFA for an AE degree but I went ME instead at another college known for mechanical engineering in the end.

You guys (HS students listen up) need to stay away from the prof flight degrees. (unless your name is Kennedy or Hilton and you have buku bucks). if you want to fly thats fine. Go to an FBO and get your ratings. Go to college and study something useful like bizz (accounting, finance) or in the sciences so you can market yourself if you can't fly.

College is way too big an investment to waste on something that can't transfer later in life. Think of yourself as a corporation. You wouldn't want to invest in a company that has all its eggs in one basket would you? then why do this to youeself.

With that said I don't think i'm perfect or anything just passing on what i've learned fron this bizz. i wanted to go the prof pilot route also but at an early age i saw my father get furloughed from United in 1980. his degree was in engineering and he had a masters from the military. The day after his furlough notice came he had a job lined up in engineering management with Merck. He didn't skip a beat in terms of pay. I don't think he would have landed that good of a job with a degree in prof pilot. In fact when he was recalled several years later he almost didn't return to UAL, his job flying a desk was that good.

Learn from others - ERAU is a fine school, go there if you want, just have enough smarts to major in something useful if you can't fly.

I feel sorry for you guys going to college today. Your going to be paying that tab off for along time no matter what school or major you decide. I was luckey (or unluckey enough) to have the govt foot the bill for me. College tuition is out of control.

We just got rid of the anti-flight team vid thread...here we go again. Some good points all around though. When I started here in '99, top guys flying transoceanic were getting near 300K/year, and regionals were hiring our grads right out of graduation. Let's just say a LOT has changed. When I started here, I knew nothing about aviation...all of the other schools I looked at were for liberal arts (looking back, I've entered into a very conservative, technical field as opposed to becoming a hippie writer type...strange:). I decided not to become a writer because it did not have any job security! Go figure. So I was impressed by the nice airplanes and campus in general, so I came here, with the knowledge that I turned down thousands in scholarships at other schools, and would be thousands in debt at the end. Financially, it was a mistake.

However, now 7 years later, I'm instructing here, and though it is not stellar pay, some will be used to pay back the 70K in loans hanging over my head (30 yr payments, 180/month). The univ is paying for my MBA, which is my backup, and aviation writing is the third backup (and will provide some spending money on the side). My wife, who I met here BTW, has her MBA paid for as well. The majority of my buddies have moved on into regionals/corporate, and when the time comes they will gladly walk in my resume, plus they have met a lot of people out there and would be glad to introduce me.

Enough about my experience. If all somebody cares about it getting to the airlines ASAP, I agree this is not the place...do what some suggested above. If you want to diversify and see what aviation has to offer in all of its various fields, this is a good place to be. It is what you make of it.

Even if you want the Pro Aviation type degree, there are much cheaper places to go. I spent my first year in college as a Chem major, decided to transfer to an Aviation school. Researched them all.

I ended up finishing my ratings at home while flying freight in a QueenAir. Went from private to CFII-ME in a year for about $6500. Transfered to Louisiana Tech and finished in two years with a BS Pro Aviation. Tuition was less than 12,000. No debt.

I wanted to go to ERAU but realized it was a bad choice financially. Once your out it makes no difference.

All of my Tech buddies are at the airlines, except for those of us who chose corporate.

Why cant anyone make use of your BS in AS degree, are you all retarded? I have a stong feeling half of you haven't seen the inside of an office, but its about as cut throat in there as it is on the line. I'm not buying the fact that you have an AeroSci degree and dont think you can find a degree outside of aviation. I did, and i'm positive i'm not the only one. No one hands out jobs just because you have a business degree, again , i have no idea where you get this idea from. Bottom line, your Degree will only get you as far as YOU let it.

Get the degree thats easiest to get. Since ERAU extended campus gives you over 30 credits for all your ratings transferred, thats the easiest for me, and its way cheaper than the main campuses. Right now I am coming up on the hours I need, I just need to check the box for a BS degree. If you get burned out on aviaiton, get out, get your MBA and then work in an office.

If I had to do it over again, I would go to a state university, get my ratings on the side, possibly join a military reserve unit and get some tuition help from them. If I knew then what I know now...

CLR2LAN said:
I'm not buying the fact that you have an AeroSci degree and dont think you can find a degree outside of aviation. I did, and i'm positive i'm not the only one.

What field do you work in?

And yes, people hand out jobs right and left to business and engineering graduates. Do you know how easy it is to find an accounting job with an accounting degree? 90% chance (unless someone is a slob) a degreed applicant can land a job making a min of $50k within 72 hours in ANY major city.

An aero sci degree tells an interviewer that their company/field isn't your real passion. Plus, most people have never heard of Embry-Riddle and when you tell them, they think it is some vocational school where you can also get your diesel mechanics certificate or tire changer's diploma. Trust me, I have seen the blank stare while trying to explaining that Riddle is a university.

timeoff said:
Trust me, I have seen the blank stare while trying to explaining that Riddle is a university.

I'm sorry you have the desire to work with such sheltered individuals. What about all the small private schools in your own state that you've never even heard of? Are they not offered jobs off the lot because no one has heard of there school? Theres tons and tons of them, For every college you can name in your own state, theres probably another two for every one that you haven't. If you cant sell yourself as someone who whats to work for the company you are interviewing for, you obviously need to reconsider your interviewing skills. Sub-par comes to mind.

I'm pretty sure I would have gotten an underage drinking violation like 6 of my buds that went to state schools, if I would have chosen differently. Hows that for a reason?

Last edited:
CLR2LAN said:
Sub-par comes to mind.

Thats hilarious, being that I am a self employed Riddle graduate working outside of aviation completely, making quite a bit more than a "regional captain" (your words not mine). At least I was smart enough not to buy into the hype and came out with a real education that will employ me in any city in the country.

Face it, your overpriced aero sci degree completely limits your job mobility and advancement outside of your current position. Maybe you can sell cars or houses with the rest of the hs grads if your current gig doesn't work out. But then it would be kind of hard to pay off your "pad" up in DC.

I obviously hit your sore spot didn't I? You're the one complaining about not being able to get a job outside of aviation, not I (please reread your posts if you don’t believe me). Do you find it hard to hold intelligent conversation? When things don’t seem to be going your way, or the other doesn't see your point of view, you resort to personal attacks? Gives some insight as to how miserable you must really being your mundane life. I'm pretty much done replying to your "useless" reply’s as they do not lead to further discussion of that matter at hand.

Latest resources

Back