Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bobby Orr 4

Just happy to be here.
Let me first say that I graduated from ERAU in 1997. I received a great education and met friends I am still close with today. I placed a post on the other General section about the cost of a 4 year degree from Riddle for recent or current students. It seems the academics, flight and living expenses will run over $150,000.00 for the 4 year degree. If a student is fortunate enough to have their education paid for by parents, grants, or scholarships that is great.
For the student (like I was) who is going to take out massive loans to pay for their education, how is ERAU selling it?
Graduate $150,000.00 in student loans
First job flight indtructing pays about $18,000.00/year for 2 years
First regional job starts at $22,000.00
Regional captain $60,000.00 upgrade time 3 to 8 years depending on company.
Chances of getting a gig with the UPS, FDX, SWA, CAL, etc ??????
I know ERAU shows there will be massive retirements. Keeps the kids optomistic. They will be competing against current pilots who have their degree, tons of flight time, etc. Those will be the pilots who will have first shot at the top earning jobs?
I guess my point is you do not need a $150,000.00 education to be competitive for the most desirable jobs. Go to a state college and get a degree. A reputable flight school will give you the same FAA certification for considerable savings. How does ERAU continue to attract students when their prices continue to increase??

Don't you know, Embry Riddle guarantees 99% job placement after graduation. It is the best flight training in the civillian world. It's Harvard at 35,000 feet......oh wait that's UND.

Lol

Having a bad day?

It’s what you make of it. I did the Riddle gig '04 and had all intentions of going to a regional. Change of plan, bought a pad up here in the DC area and now work for Lockheed Martin making as much as a regional Capt. It’s how you sell yourself and who you know. There’s tons of riddle guys here who were furloughed from flag carriers/ex military ect.... I still fly traffic patrol once a week to stay current and for the fun of flying on weekends. Would I do it again? Probably not, but what’s the true point of this thread? Opinions about ERAU have been discussed and the horse is long dead. Sounds like flame bate to me; luckily I have my flame suit ready. Get a life, move on.

CLR2LAN said:
Having a bad day?

It’s what you make of it. I did the Riddle gig '04 and had all intentions of going to a regional. Change of plan, bought a pad up here in the DC area and now work for Lockheed Martin making as much as a regional Capt. It’s how you sell yourself and who you know. There’s tons of riddle guys here who were furloughed from flag carriers/ex military ect.... I still fly traffic patrol once a week to stay current and for the fun of flying on weekends. Would I do it again? Probably not, but what’s the true point of this thread? Opinions about ERAU have been discussed and the horse is long dead. Sounds like flame bate to me; luckily I have my flame suit ready. Get a life, move on.

Thank you for the reply and no I am not having a bad day. I do have a good life as well. I do not have any regrets going to ERAU.
I have not had the opportunity to discuss this matter with any current or recent grads. I would like to know their opinions, that's all. You stated your opinion and I actually agree with you. I would probably not do the ERAU thing today because I think it is too cost prohibitive.
I do welcome any discussion on the matter. This is not flame bait at all. CLR2LAN thank you for opinion but do not pretend to think you know anything about me. You stated your opinion and I welcome any further discussion.

I gradiated in 2001... I did get some scholarships, but still ended up with a decent chunk of debt. I've seen that tuition and costs have increased at least by 60% since I was there...

My point, I think it is definately overpriced now...

Going to ERAU for aeronautical science is one of the biggest mistakes you can make in your life. Not only will you not have the college experience, you will be left with debt for a degree you can wipe your a$$ with. Go to a college that is decent and has a high QOL, i.e. a party college. I went to ERAU for only a semester my freshman year until I transfered to a real college. Trust me, go to a state college and get a degree in business or engineering. Go to a place where people might actually care that you are a pilot, and since you will be probably the only pilot on campus you can take girls up flying with you.

When I transfed out of ERAU it was in the absolute boom of this career field. People thought I was stupid for doing it, but to this day it was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made.

YourPilotFriend said:
Going to ERAU for aeronautical science is one of the biggest mistakes you can make in your life. Not only will you not have the college experience, you will be left with debt for a degree you can wipe your a$$ with. Go to a college that is decent and has a high QOL, i.e. a party college. I went to ERAU for only a semester my freshman year until I transfered to a real college. Trust me, go to a state college and get a degree in business or engineering. Go to a place where people might actually care that you are a pilot, and since you will be probably the only pilot on campus you can take girls up flying with you.

When I transfed out of ERAU it was in the absolute boom of this career field. People thought I was stupid for doing it, but to this day it was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made.
You only went to ERAU for a semester. How is it that you can say that getting an AS degree is the biggest mistake you can make in your life? What has been your experience since then that can prove that?

And yes, I have taken girls up flying too...

unreal said:
You only went to ERAU for a semester. How is it that you can say that getting an AS degree is the biggest mistake you can make in your life? What has been your experience since then that can prove that?

And yes, I have taken girls up flying too...
I got furloughed and can use my non-aeronautical science degree to make money so I don't starve. When you get older, making sure your kids can eat and have a good home is more important than anything else. This indutry will make that very difficult for you, you better have a backup plan, because you WILL need it.

Last edited:
erau

I graduated a year ago in '05. I didn't walk off that stage with my degree, I ran. I was so happy to be done with 4 years of that place and on to the real deal. I agree with the above posts, about getting a degree you can use. Problem is, hindsight is always 20/20. Riddle markets itself to dorky (I was once a dork) high school kids who love airplanes as the ONLY way to become an airline pilot. (Right, tell that to the 500hr TT ATP instructors sitting next to me in 121 ground school.) Their famous quote "One in four airline pilots is an ERAU grad" Sure, and most of them graduated in the 70's and 80's and are flying heavy metal now.
Most of my friends arn't at the airlines, even though they were in the Aero Sci major with me. All for different reasons I suppose. Riddle will do anything/say anything to get you on campus. Once they have you here, if you stay (40% attrition after first year) they provide the courses, which are very well done and interesting. But I've found they do LITTLE to help the transition from 250 hr TT graduate to the 121/135 flying world. Purdue for example, literally has airlines come on campus to recruit. I did ok, CFI'd, left with 1100TT. But some of my friends never knew the big picture and now are still trying to get their stuff togeather 1 year after graduating. ERAU is filled with dorks and makes a $200,000 job seem alot closer/easier than it really is. If I could do it all over again, would I? No, I would go to a party school, enjoy myself, get a regular degree and do my flying at a local airport. So ERAU preys on naieve young wealthy high schoolers and positions itself to appear as the only fast track to a major. It does have a good reputation (insert sarcasm here..) so the kid's folks buy it and thats how it works. Dont mean to sound toooo bitter. But lets just say after I left I havn't looked back once. The job is great and I'm glad im here. Id say save your money. Plus, there are no hot chicks at Riddle, zero!

Latest resources

Back