Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Does DALPA Want Closed Arbitration Hearings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...publicly traded companies

Huh? Show me the stock ticker symbol for ALPA. This is an ALPA gig...not a DAL, Inc or NWA, Inc gig. YCLIU!

This is no longer negotiations - it's a civil proceeding. That statement does apply to simultaneous ongoing negotiations.

You're wrong. This event can be closed just like an MEC meeting can be closed. If you insist it must be public, then produce the statute that requires it.

Good point - it also allows one side or both to go in there behind closed doors and attempt to trash the other side (you should be happy to wear the XXX uniform, you'd be out of business without our saving you, we need to teach you guys how to fly, etc.) with outrageous stuff that would certainly cause animosity on one side or the other, and then hope we can be have group hugs after the arbitration is over because no one really said that.

Precisely! I'd prefer to keep that parochial stick-poking away from the pilot groups.

Guess we'll need designated bloggers or stenographers - but even if it's closed we'll still probably get transcripts, if not as timely, so there will be no hiding of tactics in the end.

Right-o!

I'm sure it'll be a 200-post thread on the Algonquin Round Table (ALPA Web Board). Great reading, and chock-full of deeply intellectual analysis...

If we fail to reach a negotiated deal it'll prove we're dorks. Both sides. I don't need a daily report from partisans to know that arbitrations are ugly.

I don't believe that for a second :cool:

Then you didn't read it correctly! I don't care how the arbitration is conducted...open or closed. Got that? I care about the results...duh!

Occam, I knew you had the disciminating taste to be a Woody Allen fan.

:beer:

If we fail to reach a negotiated deal it'll prove we're dorks. Both sides.

So you like to say. Not so sure of that, but it's not my call. And, yes I agree results are what matter.

Prediction: we will get a negotiated deal at 11:59 on arbitration deadline, or after.

So why do you think the NWA team want's open hearings?

If our MEC's can't trust the teams they've sent in there to represent us properly...then we've got other problems.

In the end, though...I just don't care.

Its not who the MECs trust..

Its do you trust your MECs? when they say "Trust us, YOU don't need to see what WE are doing to you.. err for you."

For one perspective.. ask a TWA pilot if he is in favor of ALPA magic behind closed doors.:eek:

Behind closed doors

Perhaps the MEC dislikes an "open" arbitration not because their negotiators will be seen as too belligerent, but as too accomodating. Best to let the arbitrator take the inevitable heat from disgruntled constituents.

We don't conduct "open" contract negotiations, nor public merger negotiations, because some of the information and rhetoric is best kept in-house.

Bingo!

It may or may not be an open arbitration, some of the information or exhibits may include confidential business and marketing plans, which may require a closed door proceedings, or at least partially closed.

I'm comfortable with the process whether it remains closed or whether it becomes open to the public.

Send a good committee, let them do their job and let's avoid a circus atmosphere.

Whether it's an open or closed process, most arbitrators will write a decision which will address the positions of each committee and the rationale for the award. If someone is so inclined, they'll have an opportunity to scrutinize the proceedings and decision, as well as what the other side is all about in due time.

Let the process play itself out, at the end of the day, I don't care whether it's open or closed, I just want a fair and equitable list, that's what matters. JMHO

Last edited:
If I were you guys I'd rather to see a transcript from the
"Delta Pilots' Wives Club" :laugh:
What on EARTH is up with THAT?????
:erm:

Perhaps the MEC dislikes an "open" arbitration not because their negotiators will be seen as too belligerent, but as too accomodating. Best to let the arbitrator take the inevitable heat from disgruntled constituents.

You hit it.

Last edited:

That sounds good in theory, but given the history I sort of doubt the DAL will be too accommodating. Both side are going to fight like hell to present the best case for their pilots and the arbitrators will take the heat regardless.

Since we can't agree, the arbitrators panel now gets to decide whether it's open or not.

Latest resources

Back