• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do they still come?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why? I'll tell ya. Me and my ole pal Kit Darby figured out that there is going to be a Shortage of Pilots in the near future. So, Hang in there and soon you'll be flying that "Heavy Iron" across the pond. Salaries should start around $60K for 1 yr F/O and top off around $450K for senior Capt's. Oh yeah, one other thing... PAY YOUR DUES.......

BR549. It is their choice, I know one of our $100K plus pilots flew near 100 hours in August, sold 10 days, 16 hours of hot crew, took home close to $20K for one month. He then took the whole month of Sept off, and still got his $7K guarantee. How many feel $27K for 31 days work out of 60 is that bad of a deal?

Wow, I fly a minimum of 100hrs a month right now and make about $1200 a month. (freight) Sign me up!

I work well with others, very empathetic, like to drink Jack Daniels on occasion. Is this a good enough resume? :)

9 to 5

I'd have to agree with NYCpilot. I have a degree in business and worked in middle management for a while. As a second year AWA FO($60/hr) I do make slightly less yearly than the management job($70k). Would I want to go back to a 9-5 job? !!@##$*$!! No. All the office politics and BS. Plus looking up at the clock and thinking "aaahhhh cr@p 5 more @$@$@ hours until I can leave. NOOOOO THHHAAANKS. If I lost my job yeah I'd do it to support my family, but I'd have no passion in doing it. My dad was a computer programmer(9-5) for the last 30 years and hated his job. It showed and it carried home. A pilot friend quit aviation and used his engineering degree. Now he's back in aviation flying captain at a commuter. For some people maybe it is an enjoyable job(9-5), but for those of you that haven't done it, don't be surprised if the grass isn't greener. You may jump the fence and land in a pile of manure.

Where else in the job market can you be at work for 16 hours and get paid for 3 hrs?

Go ahead flame away..I gotta trip tommorow so you all can bash me for 4 days.

Enjoy.

3.75 you know that!!!

Besides thats not an everyday happening.

Enjoy your trip. I just got done with mine.

Go ASTROS

[quote=BR549 The whole point is to make that kind of money and more without having to bust your a$$ to get it.

In other words you want to NOT fly and get paid for it. Sorry... It doesn't work that way.

PHXFLYR:cool:

9-5 jobs suck. The only reason why I didn't become a pilot 10 years ago was because my eyesight sucked and LASIK as a new, unknown and generally frowned upon procedure by the FAA & airlines. Not worth the risk at the time.

Now I'm stuck in a 9-5 I hate, have 20-20 uncorrected vision again and want to fly professionally. I know there's a ton of BS involved in flying, crappy pay, lousy schedules, less control of my schedule but it can't be worse than sitting in a cube working on a spreadsheet 40-50 hours a week.

Having said that, the grass is always greener on the other side. Then you get to the other side and you notice you just stepped in dogsh*t and some bum is pissing on your leg.

PHXFLYR said:
BR549 The whole point is to make that kind of money and more without having to bust your a$$ to get it. In other words you want to NOT fly and get paid for it. Sorry... It doesn't work that way. PHXFLYR:cool:[/QUOTE said:
I have flown 4 times in the last two months on two separate trips. One of them was an afternoon turn. I'm about to start 2 weeks off this weekend. Spent a total of 4 nights in hotels over a 40+ day period.

I'm not flaming or being a smart-alec, but it is still possible to get paid good money and not fly a lot in the process. Sometimes the pendulum swings the other way and I fly a lot, but I'm on track to fly maybe 200 hours this whole year.

Given, I live in domicile and bid reserve, and that is a big part of it. Some people bid a fleet because of a particular airplane. Not me, I bid my aircraft because it offers me the best opportunity to make the least amount of trips to the airport. Am I lazy? No, I just don't feel like going to work a whole lot. I want to spend time doing other things.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back