• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why do they still come?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Irish, Exactly! That is why you become a pilot.

How come nobody mentioned the stews?

It burns when I pee.....is that normal?

PHXFLYR hit it on the Head

PHXFLYR,

You hit it on the Head with the word "Passion". If you do not have passion for your job, it's just a job. I look forward to working everyday, I have passion for my job. The pay is not too bad (7 yr Capt) and I have ARNG gig on the side. Minus deployments (OIF) it's not too bad either.

I'm pretty sure the average age of those responding is <26. As you get older priorities change and you will begin to realize that 50-60K is not a lot of money, ESPECIALLY if you have a family. And let me tell you, there are plenty of jobs out there where you don't have to sit in front of a computer....where the salaries are pretty good.....and that you could enjoy. You just have to searh and be flexible.

Has anyone thought about pursuing graduate degrees in the sciences and engineering, or going to college for that matter. Plumbers, Electricians, AC/Refrigeration, Carpenters, etc. have the opportunity to make loads of money, but you have to be willing to WORK. Railroad Engineers/Conductors top out at 90-100K and there is massive hiring at the railroads. Has anybody thought about being entreprenuers(sp)?

I know flying is a love or hate thing....believe me, I was there. You couldn't tell me ten/fifteen years ago that i wouldn't be flying a B757 for Delta, but things have changed. I hope you realize that if you hve spent 50-80K, even 35K on flight training, and have to suffer though MANY years of making 20K plus/minus a few thousand, you have not gotten a good return on your investment. Don't do this at your parents/wife/husband/love one's expense. THINK....THINK.....THINK. BE OPEN TO OTHER POSSIBILITIES.

It bothers me to see my friends in their early to mid thirties not being able to live off of their salaries. Something has to change.

k2774 said:
Don't do this at your parents/wife/husband/love one's expense.

...But my parents/wife/love one's might have S3C travel bennies on Delta!

Whoop da doo!

$100K is good pay

$90-$100K is a good annual salary, I do not know many people, except major airline Captains, that make more than that number. My brother, master's in business, has been in General Motors management for nearly 30 yrs. He is a GM-7.5 or something like that, just below where you get a company car. He does not make over a 100K. These fairy tails of $150-$200K salary jobs just laying around waiting for someone to pick them up are over blown. In fact the guy who I know who makes the most money is my brother -in-law, a high school grad who runs his own muffler shop. If you like to fly and can live on $100K this is a great career. All of our pliots who have been at USA Jet for 10 years can exceed that number if they want, so flying for a living can still make those numbers.

pilotyip said:
$90-$100K is a good annual salary, I do not know many people, except major airline Captains, that make more than that number. My brother, master's in business, has been in General Motors management for nearly 30 yrs. He is a GM-7.5 or something like that, just below where you get a company car. He does not make over a 100K. These fairy tails of $150-$200K salary jobs just laying around waiting for someone to pick them up are over blown. In fact the guy who I know who makes the most money is my brother -in-law, a high school grad who runs his own muffler shop. If you like to fly and can live on $100K this is a great career. All of our pliots who have been at USA Jet for 10 years can exceed that number if they want, so flying for a living can still make those numbers.

Randy, the ONLY way someone at USAJet can make $100K is to be a total whore and fly their a$$ off. You will have no outside life as you will be working all the time to make that kind of money. The whole point is to make that kind of money and more without having to bust your a$$ to get it. It's not worth it to be gone 25+ days a month.

BR549 said:
The whole point is to make that kind of money and more without having to bust your a$$ to get it.

Doesn't that sound a bit like "I want to make lots of money, but I don't want to work hard for it?"

If your looking for a way to "make lots of money and not bust your a$$ for it" i think you'd going to be sorely disappointed..

Tram said:
Doesn't that sound a bit like "I want to make lots of money, but I don't want to work hard for it?"

If your looking for a way to "make lots of money and not bust your a$$ for it" i think you'd going to be sorely disappointed..
I'd rather work 1/2 less and be paid 2x more than work 2x more and get paid 1/2 less. I think that's where they were coming from.

Anyone having a decent wage can make $100k/yr, they just have to work 18 hour days 7 days a week. What kind of a lifestyle is that? I don't like working at all, let alone 30 days a month!

~wheelsup

I believe that most of the negative responses about ones present airline career come from younger pilots who went into aviation at an early age. Someone who probably got their ratings young and may or may not have gone to college. This person has probably not worked in any other field other than aviation and now that they've been in it for awhile are seeking greener pastures. Tired of aviation and looking for something better.

On the other side are those who seem more optimistic, more content with making a career at the regionals and a salary that is between 50K - 80K at this level. Most of these pilots are those who are a little older and HAVE worked the other jobs that the former group of pilots want to get into, to make better money and have a better QOL.

I happen to fall into the latter group.

Those of us who have worked in offices especially corporate ones, really dread it in comparison to flying. The money is good, the benefits are good and the QOL is very acceptable. But it sucks, even with all the perks that come with it. You’re just not happy being in this environment. You begin to question it all. Sometimes it takes a few years of working in this world to really appreciate what its like to be flying for a living. After making some money, you realize that happiness has a greater value and so you aspire to maybe one day fly for a living. I think most guys who have, are a little older and have worked other jobs, are more content with the lifestyle of a professional pilot and more willing to stick it out.

When you’re a young pilot you see things differently and have high hopes of making quick upgrades big money and a great QOL. When you realize it’s not coming to that you become disillusioned. Those of you who have started young and become that 23 year old captain, you’re lucky. Many people wish they could have done that.

I don’t doubt that those who drop out of the flying and work some office job or whatever, after a few years away will regret leaving. Maybe the money is a little better, but don’t expect to find happiness in a few extra bucks. Being happy and enjoying your job is something that you will realize is paramount.

HEALTH, HAPPINESS & MONEY (In that order)

Latest resources

Back