• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatesPilot

Flying out of SFO, I constantly hear the majors asking for wind checks on final. This seems to annoy the tower at times.

I'm curious as to why they ask for the specific wind?

3 most often heard phrases in the ATL atc environment...

How longs the final today???

Can I get a sequence?

Wind check???

:D :D :D :D

Dumb question? Not really. While larger airplanes are less affected by wind than smaller airplanes they are also less manueverable so you have to anticipate your corrections for wind as soon as possible. Take in consideration higher approach speeds for larger aircraft that are near their max langing weights and it can get pretty exciting if the wind is doing something that wasn't expected.

You should try flying a BOX with a 15 or 20 kt direct crosswind. Talk about a challenge..Anyone who has flown the SD3 can second that. It's like having a barn door strapped to the side of your plane.

SD

Because we have a direct wind direction/speed readout in the cockpit, we know what the winds are for where we are. What we want to know is how much it might change between that point and the ground. Provides early heads up for windshear, etc. Remember, that much mass doesn't change direction in an instant, so we can't recover from wind changes like a light airplane can.

id like to run a follow-up question in that same vein. what speed does a typical heavy rotate/touchdown at? assuming normal conditions and weight...just curious ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back