Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Challengers are better than Gulfstreams.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gatorman

Snot-nosed college boy!!
Working on Challengers for better than ten years and then having to work on a Gulfstream, I notice several things that I like about Challengers over Gulfstreams.........here are a few:

1. You do not need Hydraulics to open or close the main entry door.
2. You do not need a step ladder to load the baggage compartment.
3. If you are 6' tall, you still have to duck you head to walk down the cabin.
4. All of that space in the cabin is used up for avionics.
5. Oxygen Bottles under the floor!!!???
6. Access panels on TOP of the wings and horizontal!!!???
7. It does not take 4 men to hang an aileron
8. It does not take 4,5, or even 6 men to hang an elevator.
9. It only takes 2 people to completely cowl the engines on a Challenger.
10. If there is fuel on the hangar floor, it has to be from the Gulfstream, if a Challenger has a leak, there is a problem.
11. Challenger - one guy to install a main wheel assembly. Gulfstream - one knuckle-dragging gorilla.

I know you guys have more.....

A contractor that was working with me was trying to justify the Gulfstreams by asking me "What name is synonomous with corporate aviation?"

My answer, "Lear, of course. Another product of Bombardier like the Challengers"

Which Gulfstreams have you worked? I know the III's have fuel leak problems. We rarely had leaks on the IVSP's, and in the 6+ years I've been around them, I've never seen a V leak any fuel.

I know very little about the Challengers. What do you think about reliability between the CL and the G'? How old were the acft you worked on? I can tell you the fleet(s) of Gulfstreams I have worked for/with are all very reliable.

I was around when the last challenger left the old KC Aviation and I was there when the first GV showed up in Dallas. I understand that as the models keep coming out, things improve (snicker).
When that first GV showed up, I got the inhouse tour. I was very impressed, that was the closest thing I had see to an old 600 Challenger yet.

Product reliability, I believe, lies in the software. The more glass you have in the cockpit, the more problems you will have. No matter how pretty it looks up in the pointy end.

As far as making a departure.....well, we are suppose to have a GIII leave today. I will keep you posted.

P.S. there were at least 7 guys pulling 12+ hour days to make this out date. I got my 12.5 last night and I was not even suppose to be working on it.

: (

Well I guess it's a d@mn good thing if the Challenger is easier to work on because it sure as He!! is going to be in the shop a lot more!

Mudworm said:
Well I guess it's a d@mn good thing if the Challenger is easier to work on because it sure as He!! is going to be in the shop a lot more!

Well, since bending wrenches on airplanes puts dinner on the table.....ah DUH!!!

Flipside...looking out in the hangar right now, I see 5 gulfstreams to 1 challenger. DOH!! (BTW - the challenger is just here for the interior work)

Gatorman said:
Flipside...looking out in the hangar right now, I see 5 gulfstreams to 1 challenger. DOH!! (BTW - the challenger is just here for the interior work)

Thats because people take their challengers to gulfstream service centers for the big stuff, Dallas Airmotive is for lightbulbs and interiors

OOH, OOH, OOH!!!
I learned another one yesterday!!!

Challengers, you do not need to run a hydraulic mule to service hydraulics.

Gatorman said:
1. You do not need Hydraulics to open or close the main entry door.
2. You do not need a step ladder to load the baggage compartment.
3. If you are 6' tall, you still have to duck you head to walk down the cabin.
4. All of that space in the cabin is used up for avionics.
5. Oxygen Bottles under the floor!!!???
6. Access panels on TOP of the wings and horizontal!!!???
7. It does not take 4 men to hang an aileron
8. It does not take 4,5, or even 6 men to hang an elevator.
9. It only takes 2 people to completely cowl the engines on a Challenger.
10. If there is fuel on the hangar floor, it has to be from the Gulfstream, if a Challenger has a leak, there is a problem.
11. Challenger - one guy to install a main wheel assembly. Gulfstream - one knuckle-dragging gorilla.

I know you guys have more.....

With your last post and with what I have quoted above from you, I would like to point out that you are showing yourself to be truly ignorant. The Gulfstream weaknesses that you have enlightened us to, are fun and enjoyable to read, however, except for #1, #4, and #5 they are just dead wrong. There are plenty others on this board who would not be as polite as I in their response to your moronic drivel.

Respectfuly,
Hung

P.S. Reguarding your latest post about hydraulics. Are you sure you are working on a Gulfstream?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back