Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Can't Expressjet Reserves Get Consistent Golden Days Off?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
POST OF THE YEAR!!!

I was FURIOUS how that was handled. Guys in upgrade training got the full captain share while I got the FO share because my class started a few weeks later.

HOWEVER.....If it was indeed a signing bonus, I would have thought it MORE fair even if I was a captain, to split it via a longevity formula with a maximum of 5 years, the term of the negotiations.
And don't forget the senior guys that opted out of the union when it came on property many years ago that don't pay dues that got checks for 25-30k!
I was a 6 year guy that got 12k and was appalled at how the MEC handled the junior guys while giving the senior guys that got a small raise a huge check. When we made our point to the mec in the crew lounge they argued until they got so frustrated Nick T. blew up and said "you may be right but tough we've got so much pressure from the senior guys that this is how we are going to do it and if you don't like it vote someone else in". Wow. Made me sick to know people just below me got a 1/4 of what I received.
Then the mec was against PBS up until they made a deal with company to be compensated for it. Then the worst used car sales job in history to the pilot group to sell us pbs began. The half truths and lying was horrible and the rest is history. People may like it but it is not what we were sold.
So the new elections began and Steve P. and Ricard V. promised a big change in the union if we voted them in. And as soon as they got in they voted in the old regime and gave a few that were promised out new jobs in the union. More corruption.
When I had a talk with Sterling R. and convinced him I was on his wave length (to retire ASA) as him to get the truth about the direction the MEC was taking he told me they are only looking out for the lifers to make sure they keep their jobs as long as they can and did not care about the junior group at all. I asked him how is that representing the whole group as an elected official and he said "It doesn't and we are doing what best for the people that matter, the senior group. Most of the junior people will leave anyway so we are looking out for us". He said he was very happy getting paid six hours a day and home every night with his family and planned to follow Chris's lead and keep his position as long as possible.
So you can forget about any quality of life improvements in the new contract for junior group and know anything they say to keep you happy is just a lie.
Harsh? maybe. Bitter? a little. But could not stand the constant deception.

And don't forget the senior guys that opted out of the union when it came on property many years ago that don't pay dues that got checks for 25-30k!
I was a 6 year guy that got 12k and was appalled at how the MEC handled the junior guys while giving the senior guys that got a small raise a huge check. When we made our point to the mec in the crew lounge they argued until they got so frustrated Nick T. blew up and said "you may be right but tough we've got so much pressure from the senior guys that this is how we are going to do it and if you don't like it vote someone else in". Wow. Made me sick to know people just below me got a 1/4 of what I received.
Then the mec was against PBS up until they made a deal with company to be compensated for it. Then the worst used car sales job in history to the pilot group to sell us pbs began. The half truths and lying was horrible and the rest is history. People may like it but it is not what we were sold.
So the new elections began and Steve P. and Ricard V. promised a big change in the union if we voted them in. And as soon as they got in they voted in the old regime and gave a few that were promised out new jobs in the union. More corruption.
When I had a talk with Sterling R. and convinced him I was on his wave length (to retire ASA) as him to get the truth about the direction the MEC was taking he told me they are only looking out for the lifers to make sure they keep their jobs as long as they can and did not care about the junior group at all. I asked him how is that representing the whole group as an elected official and he said "It doesn't and we are doing what best for the people that matter, the senior group. Most of the junior people will leave anyway so we are looking out for us". He said he was very happy getting paid six hours a day and home every night with his family and planned to follow Chris's lead and keep his position as long as possible.
So you can forget about any quality of life improvements in the new contract for junior group and know anything they say to keep you happy is just a lie.

Despite the fact that you're telling it exactly as it is, just as I always do, stand by for the dipshot with his 1500 posts Little Joe (777Forever) to show up presently to tell you you're full of it.

Max what year were you hired?

Maxcackel is a former member of the negotiating committee and had a falling out. Now he has an axe to grind. Ironically, he is attacking the very contract he negotiated. He doesn't work here anymore.

Last edited:
Despite the fact that you're telling it exactly as it is, just as I always do, stand by for the dipshot with his 1500 posts Little Joe (777Forever) to show up presently to tell you you're full of it.

You mad bro?

Maxcackel is a former member of the negotiating committee and has a falling out. Now he has an axe to grind. Ironically, he is attacking the very contract he negotiated. He doesn't work here anymore.

That explains it!

I voted no on the last contract purely based upon my throwing up over the mec's handling of the Retro pay turned "signing bonus"

Remember the bumpers stickers that said Retro pay to the last day?

That did NOT turn out so well for the junior guys & gals.

If you were a new hire over the five year negotiations, retro pay owed you $3500 for your first year alone (19 to 24 / hr.), let alone ~$4/hr for the years after your first.

If you were a senior 70 seat captain, retro pay yielded you NOTHING. This was because the senior 70 seat rates were already industry leading and did not go up with the new contract. I.E. The senior 70 seat guys were already earning their new contract pay for the 5 year period of negotiation.

The 1-3 year guys got what, $300 - $1k?

The Senior 70 seat guys got $20-23K.

Oh, and you can't forget the guys from the same class who happened to upgrade 1 month earlier than their buddies. The newly minted captain got $9k while their FO who was owed the exact same amount got $4k.

Your MEC at work. Argue you need retro pay... Get a high percentage of said retro pay. Realize that you don't want to give the money to the people who were actually hurt by the contract negotiations' duration. Write a formula based upon seniority and seat (neither of which have ANYTHING to do with retro pay) and then scam all the junior guys out of their money.

MEC=Sucks for the junior guy.

I brought up these points in the road shows for the last contract. I wanted a separate vote on retro and contract. The mec would not go for it. No way the retro would have passed on its own

Just don't you worry about little old me.

Max, I'm not worried about you!

I was hired in 99 and my retro check wasn't as big as yours.

Im just doing some figuring.

Nope try again. Not even close.

I guess it is just a coincidence that you got hired at ASA the same time as YP. I guess it is just a coincidence that you left for Atlas the same time as YP. I guess it is just a coincidence that you commuted out of Florida like YP did. Lots of coincidences.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back