• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are passengers rude to pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, it's true, but it is a symptom of the rest of the crap we're complaining about.

Control what you can. Complain about what you can't................

I look around these days, and a good majority of people just look like 200 pounds of $hit forced into a 100 pound sack. It used to be that your mom would make you wash below your neck every once in a while, but that apparently is no longer true.

Then as a superior example of Darwinism you should have no problem exceling as your competition appears to be inferior.

I've lost hope for most people. These days they're mostly overweight, ill-kempt, foul mouthed lard-a$$es. The few decent looking folks out there ruin me once they open their trap to either stuff food down their gullet, or screech in some vulgar gutter speak over the booming of the gangsta rap on their ipod.

And this effects your life how? What is your measuring stick? Hollywood? Desperate Housewives?

Why the need to judge?

I use to think that they had opened the gate to all the world's trailer parks, but in reality, its the trailer park that grew and surrounded us.

That is really deep.

But to be fair to the ladies, I'm no Brad Pitt. But I shower at least once a day, pay my bills, say please and thank you, chew with my mouth closed and my clothes have seen the hot side of an iron more than once.

And only you have to live with you!

But that doesn't mean you can't have any fun with it. One day I was at work, and a buddy of mine non-reving (in civvies) walked up, and started to "interrupt" me with stupid sounding questions. I turned around, an in a loudish voice said "you will address me as 'sir'. Tuck in that shirt! Pull up those pants!" (basically a modified Neidermyer routine from Animal House). He went right along with it, and it was hysterical, but I thought the people looking on were going to sh!t eggrolls.

Nu

Party on Wayne... Party on Garth! :beer:

When does anyone say "Please" or "Thank You" nowadays?
God forbid you teach your kids to say "Please".

Your in the wrong country if you want "Polite" people.

Party on Wayne... Party on Garth! :beer:

I like to show my good will towards the masses by pointing out things they can do to better themselves. While it's true they may never achieve the grace, pure intellect, and tranquility that is my existence, I like to think I've helped them rise, even just a bit, out of the mire.

Such as my reply to you. You're welcome.

Nu

P.S. Lighten up Francis.

I like to show my good will towards the masses by pointing out things they can do to better themselves. While it's true they may never achieve the grace, pure intellect, and tranquility that is my existence, I like to think I've helped them rise, even just a bit, out of the mire.

Such as my reply to you. You're welcome.

Nu

P.S. Lighten up Francis.

If you want to lead by example, then do so. However your post is critical and judgemental. I'm not sure how that is good will.

Also, who says they need to be saved and that you are the savior?

Instead why not talk to these people that offend you and find out their story. Once you understand it changes the entire perspective...

Last edited:
When does anyone say "Please" or "Thank You" nowadays?

I do...........and so do my kids.

God forbid you teach your kids to say "Please".

See above.

Your in the wrong country if you want "Polite" people.

Unfortunately, you may be partially right. We seem to have more than our share of self-absorbed people in this country. But it' is in a lot of other places, too.

AF :cool:

If you want to lead by example, then do so. However your post is critical and judgemental. I'm not sure how that is good will.

Instead why not talk to these people that offend you and find out their story. Once you understand it changes the entire perspective...

Your post is critical and judgemental of me being critical and judgemental. Doctor, heal thyself.

Besides, while I admit to being critical, I don't think it's particularly judgemental. Besides, being critical isn't a bad thing lest we allow the mediocrity to edge ever forward.

But if your worldview is fine with coddling this behavior, please, press on.

I have talked to these people. What I can gather is that most of these problems are self generated and a few microseconds spent on thoughts other than who J.Lo is married to would probably resolve them.

Had they had the blessing in their life of my council, they would no doubt be in a MUCH better place.

For only a small donation, you too can be illuminated by the light that is me.

Nu

in other news: I just opened my first fat tire!

Being a not so bad looking female who doesn't wear a traditional pilot's uniform, I am constantly mistaken for a FA. While there are perks to this because the FAs are nicer to me (at least until they find out I'm a pilot), I find I am an easy target in the terminals when airlining to work. I might add that I have also worked for the airlines in normal pilot dress as well. Most recently while traveling to work, I was seated next to a woman who promptly looked me over and asked if I was a flight attendant. I just smiled and said no. She said "oh, because you're dressed like a flight attendant." I continued to smile while thinking to myself " Are you a prostitute? Because you dress like one." Which she was. An old one. But try as I might I can't let go of the simple basic rules of "Lead by Example" and "Do unto Others." So I kept my mouth shut. Because that response would be on her level. Once upon a time pilots were ex military officers, and in public (for the most part) they behaved as gentlemen. They were spit polished, starched, and tailored. They flew the heavy metal, and other men envied them and the women wanted them. This was an era long before the advent of the regional airline. While a part of evolution for the industry, the group representing it is younger and less worldly. As such we tend to generate uncertainty with our passengers based on appearance. It has become commonplace to see the regional looking very "rode hard." While his or her schedule probably merits such an appearance, it is also our job to appear as professional as possible. Don't ever forget that you are first judged by how you look, and then by how you respond.

i know people loose their minds with in 1 mile of any airport. But some of the attitudes of the pax's are above and beyond retarded. This is not the year 1900 here and i think some of these people live in a cave!
I am a female pilot, I am so sick of 'are you a real pilot???' or 'Oh Stewardess!!!' or 'Women are allowed to fly?' or 'Are you old enough to be a Stewardess?' Most of these comments i hear in the cockpit from pax. I smile, nod and look at them like they are crazy.
Just yesterday on my commute in, a old woman comes up to me and said, "You were the stewardess on this flight!" in quite a brash tone. I knew she was about to read me the riot act. Before she could say another word, i said, "first they are flight attendants, and second i am a pilot." She had a look on her face as though she had seen a ghost. Sheepishly and quite frightened she said she said, "...you didn't just fly this plane did you????"

Latest resources

Back