• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why a 3rd FMS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're flying along fat, dumb, and happy out over water, a long way from land with your dual FMSes. One of them takes a dump and dies on you. Not a problem, you still have the other.

Same scenario, different day...

Your flying along, FD&H, and your dual FMSes begine to tell you two different things. It's like the old Chinese proverb - "Man with one watch knows what time it is. Man with two watches is never sure." The third FMS is basically a "tie breaker".

Personally, when I fly oceanic, I also carry a handheld GPS. I'm not too good with a sextant.

'Sled

rice said:
Absolutely, positively will not fly without that!!!!!!!!! Nothing more important when 5 hrs into the trip and you get up just to find out that Mr. and Mrs. Rich are racked out in the back and blocking access to the lav:( .
Or you could just do what the guy I fly with does and pee in the sink. :0

'Sled

sydeseet said:
Burp, why not?????

(Name the movie)
Animal House

Also: why can't you cross fill the perf init to FMS3 like you can between 1 and 2?

Thanks, Sled. That makes a lot of sense. In the days before FMS (gasp!) we triple mixed the 3 IRS's. If one of them wandered away from the others we could take it out of the mix and still be fairly accurate.

But dude! That avatar..... :eek:

rice said:
Absolutely, positively will not fly without that!!!!!!!!! Nothing more important when 5 hrs into the trip and you get up just to find out that Mr. and Mrs. Rich are racked out in the back and blocking access to the lav:( .

Especially when one wants to "punch it" in private!!:eek:

Lead Sled said:
Or you could just do what the guy I fly with does and pee in the sink. :0

'Sled

I didn't know you flew with Gumby??? BTW does he know you're using his pic for your Avatar now :D .

Lead Sled gets the award for the most visually offensive avatar. Congrats!

The forward lav I can tell you would be a must for me having done 5 1/2 hour legs in the Hawker back and forth to the west coast. The pax always liked to set up an obstacle course for you before falling asleep, then you get hop-scotch over all the briefcases in the aisle. I can't imagine what that would be like on a 10+ hour haul...:(

Latest resources

Back