Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who's a bigger bottom feeder, ASA or Mesa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow so you are better then ANY SINGLE RJ pilot out there? You must be a blast be around. So you must wear your Rayban Aviators to the bar and sport a Tom Selick moustache and a 2 inch tool. Then tell every chick on the property you are a pilot. Get over your self loser

nominee for post of the year.

FmrFreightDog,

Good post, and I don't disagree with most of what you said. Your right that we aren't as far apart as it would appear.

However two things about the "performance" part of your post.

1. The recent 90 seat flying went to Pinnacle and Mesa. Both of these carriers are worse than ASA. This is about not allowing ALPA to ever get control again like it used to have. If this were about performance, then Pinnacle and Mesa wouldn't have gotten this flying.

2. As bad as ASA can be, and yes it can be bad, it is better than it used to be, it is improving, and it is better than other carriers that have been awarded Delta flying.

If even you admit we are asking for too much now, then why are we still asking for it?

Good post for what it is worth....

I'm not sure I agree that Mesa & Pinnacle have worse performance numbers than ASA. I'll admit, I don't have numbers to back it up, but I think ASA's numbers are worse.

As for why are we still asking for too much, I'm not the one doing the asking. I wouldn't be surprised to see ALPA back off a little bit during the next negotiating dates.

Here are some hard numbers for you.

I'm not sure I agree that Mesa & Pinnacle have worse performance numbers than ASA. I'll admit, I don't have numbers to back it up, but I think ASA's numbers are worse.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/2007/April/200704atcr.pdf

Here are some official DOT numbers that would appear to back up your statement, at least for January and February of this year. I doesn't appear that the DOT was including stats on Pinnacle last year. I would wager that Pinnacle had drastically better numbers for most of last year, as from March or so onward, 9E was somewhat properly staffed, at least by comparison to now. Here are a couple of links which will back up that assertion:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=131072&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=914477&highlight=

Last March, 9E went 8 days and 6020 flights without a cancellation:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=131072&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=838919&highlight=

Keep in mind that in January and February, 9E was in the process of absorbing those 17 Mesaba CRJ-carrots that NWA loaned to management, so the performance was somewhat remarkable, considering there was no staffing to cover these planes. I'll also wager that 9E won't fare nearly as well when the March data comes out, as the absorption of those jets vs. the 9E staffing model (sorry, lack of such a model) reached critical mass that month.

As far as I can tell, Mesa's numbers are equal to or better than ASA's in most regards.

JoeMerchant said:
1. The recent 90 seat flying went to Pinnacle and Mesa. Both of these carriers are worse than ASA. This is about not allowing ALPA to ever get control again like it used to have. If this were about performance, then Pinnacle and Mesa wouldn't have gotten this flying.

2. As bad as ASA can be, and yes it can be bad, it is better than it used to be, it is improving, and it is better than other carriers that have been awarded Delta flying.

As for JoeMerchant, now that I've supplied you with some hard data from credible sources, do you still stand by your original statements?

Feb. DOT statistics for cancellations - percentage of flights cancelled:

CMR: 10.61%
MESA: 7.43%
Pinnacle: 6.36%
ASA: 5.35%
Skywest: 4.89%

I flew with a newbie last week that expects to hold a line within a month on the CR2! At any rate, it'll be under 2 months for him to hold a line...

Feb. DOT statistics for cancellations - percentage of flights cancelled:

CMR: 10.61%
MESA: 7.43%
Pinnacle: 6.36%
ASA: 5.35%
Skywest: 4.89%

Nice job digging all the way to the bottom of that file finding the one statistic in which ASA was superior to Pinnacle. Did you also read the note that said that the cancellations count against the ontime rate, which 9E clearly beat you on. Or did you miss the part where I said that 9E was absorbing 15 jets while EV remained stagnant and lost LAX flying, and 9E still stompped your tail in every other statistic. I didn't even bring up the fact that 9E has ACARS, so we don't fudge our out/in times. Don't bring up the whole ATL thing either, Citrus seems to do just fine there, never mind the fact that 2 of 3 9E hubs are serviced by XJ, and they like us less than you do and don't do us any favors from time to time.

I see you haven't posted in nearly 4 days, hope I didn't hurt your pride that badly.

But if I didn't, I will. Here is a little tidbit that you might find quite amusing. According to airlinepilotcentral.com, for a CRJ-200 Captain until year 13, 9E captains make on the average 1-2 dollars more than an EV captain. Given the fact that the average 9E pilot will upgrade anywhere from 1-5 years sooner than your average EV pilot, you can rest assured that any of your peers in longevity at 9E have earned more than you have. Given the fact that our ontime performance is much better, they have spent less time doing it as well.

....I didn't even bring up the fact that 9E has ACARS, so we don't fudge our out/in times.

YOU are clueless......

Latest resources

Back