• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who went from pilot to FAA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Working on writing KSAs. Anyone have any pointers? Or just pointers in general to help get hired?

From what I've been told in the past month or so, if you're not a 10 point veteran, you're wasting your time. But on the other hand ,it never hurts to try.

From what I've been told in the past month or so, if you're not a 10 point veteran, you're wasting your time. But on the other hand ,it never hurts to try.

Had a few feds on my jump seat lately and talking to them about the same thing. They have pretty much said its a really good gig, but you will hate the first year as you adjust to not flying. But it gets better. They said put your stuff in if your interested cuz you never know...

THis is a post from the thread. Maybe this guy can help you out:

To get hired you must have at least the following:
ATP, CFII MEI, 1000 hrs as CFI, 200 hrs. in the last 12 months and here is a great one, no more than 3 accidents or violations in the past 5 years. Yes, that is a written requirement. I have held the following FAA positions on my three tours there.....Air Traffic Controller, VFR tower and Radar, Flight Inspection Pilot, General Aviation Ops and Air Carrier Ops Inspector. I finally retired but with only 10 yrs. with the FAA. Call me if you want to discuss......Bill 817-691-1910

In a true honest evaluation, about 75% of the feds I have met had a huge head on their shoulders and a power trip complex. They were complete ****************************** bags and thought that there little pet peeves were the most important things since sliced bread was invented. For most, if you don't get enough of a power trip as a capt go to the FAA, apparently. If your going to go fed, remember your roots and what we all go through out here. Don't be the nit picky ****************************** bag that things your doing the public a favor when your inflated ego self is really not.

I have seen three guys from my regional go to the STL FSDO. They all become the biggest a$$holes in a rather short period of time. I'll echo what Varmint wrote. Plus, STL FSDO doesn't have a good reputation anyway. I am glad I don't have to go to that hellhole anymore.

I had a former Eagle FO turned Fed in the j/s last year. He was probably the coolest fed I've ever met. Very down to Earth and a nice guy. He talked extensively to me about life on the "other side." He had been a Fed for 3 years and while it had it's negatives he said the positives far outweighed them. He said something along the lines of "if you can just go to work and do your job and ignore all of the BS, you'll be fine as a fed." I told him it sounded a lot like what I do now in the 121 world and he said, "exactly."

"MINIMUM ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Not more than two separate incidents involving Federal aviation regulations violations in the last 5 years"

Copied right from the FAA website

I went from airlines to FAA. Best move I ever made. Probably not doing the same job you're looking at, but I can probably help you out. Send me PM if you want any info or help. These guys are just being jackasses. It's a great job.

I went from airlines to FAA. Best move I ever made. Probably not doing the same job you're looking at, but I can probably help you out. Send me PM if you want any info or help. These guys are just being jackasses. It's a great job.

ATC would be a good job if you can transition from cockpit to office easily. That's not what I visualize when someone says they want to go to the FAA...With that said however, what do you think about the guys who come and peer over your shoulder now and again to evaluate you (not the local facility trainers) or come after your job when you screw up on the scope or while controlling in the tower?

Latest resources

Back