• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who went from pilot to FAA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Isn't the FAA known as the Failed Aviator Association?

Ask around industry pros and most of them would not touch an FAA job unless they're looking to be part of a failing inefficient club.

But at least runway incursions are down 500% the last few years!!!!

I've considered it. Work 40hrs a week (first 40). Home almost every night. Govt. pay/bennies/retirement. I can put up with a lot of office BS for those perks.

I can then afford to buy/rent and fly where *I* want to go.

Ask around industry pros and most of them would not touch an FAA job unless they're looking to be part of a failing inefficient club.

But at least runway incursions are down 500% the last few years!!!!

Amazing what a memo can do

I tried to tie in all that stuff with airlines / college flight training. All the quality stuff is related to pre-flighting an airplane. The management stuff, team building, etc is all CRM related.

I applied in Aug. and it's been NORDO. Best of luck.

More like Furloughed Aviators Association. Home Depot isn't even hiring right now, and if you're not a 1000 hour wonder, have 1000 turbine PIC, or local to a major city and typed in the right corporate jet, you're hosed!

I've considered it. Work 40hrs a week (first 40). Home almost every night. Govt. pay/bennies/retirement. I can put up with a lot of office BS for those perks.

I can then afford to buy/rent and fly where *I* want to go.

I have a feeling that pretty soon the great pay/bennies/retirement will see a big overhaul. The US cannot afford to pay all the soon retiring govt. workers pensions plus pay a new wave of govt. employees current or better salaries. I think ATC is already like this, controllers getting hired now do not have the same retirement package as the baby boomer crowd.

I know three people that made that switch and while the pay and bennies are great they all say the work is just terrible. Absolutely nothing gets done and it is incredibly political even within the local FSDO's. (Not a big surprise there) I would highly caution you to look past the pay, etc. and really research what the job is really all about. It may be a great fit for you or you might really regret it. Good luck!

The grass really is greener on the other side of the fence, the only problem is it's painted green.

Latest resources

Back