• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who went from pilot to FAA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATC would be a good job if you can transition from cockpit to office easily. That's not what I visualize when someone says they want to go to the FAA...With that said however, what do you think about the guys who come and peer over your shoulder now and again to evaluate you (not the local facility trainers) or come after your job when you screw up on the scope or while controlling in the tower?

Isn't there an age limitation (max to be hired) for ATC? ...is that just for the controller or all positions?

The FAA ASI job (like any other) is what you make of it. You can decide to keep your comon sense, or (as others have done) throw it out the window. You can choose to be a d-bag or not.

I can tell you that, for me, it's a great job. I try to find the best in any situation. However, there will always be a certain percentage of FAA ASIs who ruin it for the rest of us. Like any profession, it's the reality of it.

All I can do is go out into the field and be as fair as I can. I think every pilot deserves that from the FAA.

I went from Regional Pilot to FAA HQ Inspector. Spent 4 years at FAA. Opened A LOT of doors for me career wise and I'm in my early 30s.

Pros - Made 3x as much as I did in the airlines + guaranteed pay increases every year (some as much as 5%), interesting diverse work (SMS, UAS, Terminal Procedures, Rulemaking, VLJs), love having weekends/holidays/every other Friday off. Transportation subsidy. Lots of training opportunities (accident investigation, etc.).

PM me for more info. Don't listen to people who don't know what theyre talking about. Like any job, a lot has to do with your attitude and desires, but also your manager, environment, and coworkers.

I went from Regional Pilot to FAA HQ Inspector. Spent 4 years at FAA. Opened A LOT of doors for me career wise and I'm in my early 30s.

Pros - Made 3x as much as I did in the airlines + guaranteed pay increases every year (some as much as 5%), interesting diverse work (SMS, UAS, Terminal Procedures, Rulemaking, VLJs), love having weekends/holidays/every other Friday off. Transportation subsidy. Lots of training opportunities (accident investigation, etc.).

PM me for more info. Don't listen to people who don't know what theyre talking about. Like any job, a lot has to do with your attitude and desires, but also your manager, environment, and coworkers.

This is why we are going broke as a country....5% guaranteed increases? What is the inflation rate?

73belair: Dont believe everything you read on this post. I made the swith from Regional Airline to FAA two years ago and love every minute of it. I would never go back to the Airlines. Great pay and schedules, and did I mention every weekend/holiday off, a pension plus the ability to transfer? I worked for a large "regional" in Phoenix and now I am employed as an ASI in Oklahoma City. Sure every job has its ups and downs. The first year is tough sitting at a desk, but you learn to adapt rather soon. PM me for more information.

I have a feeling that pretty soon the great pay/bennies/retirement will see a big overhaul. The US cannot afford to pay all the soon retiring govt. workers pensions plus pay a new wave of govt. employees current or better salaries. I think ATC is already like this, controllers getting hired now do not have the same retirement package as the baby boomer crowd.
A just released report in Maine shows that 26 thousand state employees are retired. They paid 900 million into their retirement and can expect to receive about 13 billion in retirement pay. Wow what a great return on their investment

A just released report in Maine shows that 26 thousand state employees are retired. They paid 900 million into their retirement and can expect to receive about 13 billion in retirement pay. Wow what a great return on their investment

Assuming the fund is not state funded, - the investment company had 20 plus years with that money to make it grow.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back