Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who out there interviewed with NWA the week before 9-11?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was invited to phase 1 in August of 2001, then got a letter saying it was being postponed to September because they were slowing down their hiring. I haven't heard a thing from them since, but am curious to see if they send me another invitation to interview once they ramp things back up again. I would politely decline.

Singlecoil said:
I was invited to phase 1 in August of 2001, then got a letter saying it was being postponed to September because they were slowing down their hiring. I haven't heard a thing from them since, but am curious to see if they send me another invitation to interview once they ramp things back up again. I would politely decline.
I think your current position is a good outift! :)

I did phase 1 August 30th and I think they scheduled me for phase 2 Sept 20th. DOHHH! I got the same letter.

ILStoMinimums said:
I think your current position is a good outift! :)
I couldn't agree more. I remember at the time I was pretty bummed that I had missed their hiring wave. Then September 11 happened and I realized how lucky I was. Be careful what you wish for....

Had a conditional offer from them on the 5th of September. Was very, very depressed when I figured out it was not to be. Then I decided to run my wife through the wood chipper. Needless to say, I'm feeling much better now. Not sure how I snuck past the psych test though.

MotoX said:
Just checking to see where everyone ended up at?!?
I got hired September 10, 2001. Went to bed with a big smile. Fortunately, I also got hired by FedEx, and never lost my smile.

Right on Rock! I did phase 1 with you. If you remember I called you at home and asked ya a million and one questions about phase 2! I use to live in Las Vegas. Good for you!! I ended up at Netjets. Just a short stop until I make it to the top! Never giving up! Ooohhh Raaa!

Last edited:
Another story

I had an afternoon flight up to MSP on 9/11 for a phase one interview the morning of the 12th. I was getting ready to head out for the airport when I saw the attacks on TV. After it became apparent that I wouldn't be able to make it up there I called and they said that my interview was canceled and they would get back to me later. They handled the situation very well over the phone and were very apologetic that I couldn't come up. I thought that was very classy of them considering the difficulty of that day.

I remember being so excited about that interview because it was going to be my first at a major before retiring from the CG and although I had another one scheduled at SW (which was also canceled, but later rescheduled) I was just so excited that my possibilites had doubled with that one invitiation that I could barely stand it. It is when I first really started to think that I might actually be able to get a job with a major airline after all.

Long story short (too late I know) the interview at SW went well but then they stopped hiring and I was stuck in their pool. Eventually FedEx came calling and I was lucky enough to get on there with only about a 3 month swim and decided to stay put when the SW call for a class came.

Interesting how things work out, which is why I tell anyone who will listen that you have to have a backup plan for your backup plans and to put the apps out to anybody who will take them, because you just never know where you will find a place that it the best fit for you.

FJ

Fed Ex sounds like it would be an awesome place to work! That's really great for both of you. I don't think I have ever had an app in with them, since I didn't know a single person working there. Just doesn't seem like the place that would call an applicant out of the blue. I also had an interview scheduled with Delta during that same time period (9-11). But never made the trip to ATL. I would say I got really lucky! Not sure where I will end up, but it won't be Netjets.

Latest resources

Back