• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who is hiring and do I stand a chance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
had a guy in my training class that hadnt touched an airplane in a year....your more than quailified....find a few places youd like to work and youll have no problem...go buy some landings in a 152 and shoot a few approaches in a sim if you can....good luck

AWAC is over $24/hr. first year PLUS has better work rules and rigs. We are hiring, too.

I did a double take but then realized we got our yearly 1.5% pay bump a few days ago. Add to that another $0.10 in per diem. Yay, I'm rich.

Are they hiring that much? It looks like just 4-6 per month.

True, but sad.
I used to think this job had some selectivity and status, even if "only" :rolleyes: a regional job.

As others have said, being current should be enough. Instructing for a few months should do it. Read up on the gouges as well. Some outfits would like to see a certain amount of multi in the last 6 months too.

The interview gouges can be found at:

www.aviationinterviews.com and www.willflyforfood.cc

Nothing SAD about it.

It's flying. OK. It's only flying.

You gals/guys make it out to be as if is a continuous 'challenging' job, but it ain't. Easiest thing I have ever done is flying!

And to fly for regional/major is even easier. Flying a twin-turbine, single-pilot ops might still be considered somewhat challenging (to regional flying), but still not hard.

You know what hard is?
  • Trying to figure out which part of brain not to touch during brain surgery!
  • Trying to figure out/calculate (mathematics/physics) an exact location of a point in space, many trillions of miles away, where a human-made probe would intercept a asteroid/meteor traveling greater than the speed of light.
  • Trying to figure out an exact height of a tail on a certain airplane (not how high it is, but how high it should be).
  • Trying to figure the next time (hour, minute, second) when Mars would be closest to earth after the last time (August this year, I think?)
Flying, my friends, is EASY!

Get over it.

It's the only so-called profession with a certain 'status' - tongue-in-cheek - where a college degree is not a requirement for your education (Doctors/Engineer/Lawyers, etc.)

Even though 4-year aviation college programs are way better than any non-college programs, they are simply jokes compared to what's taught at a medical, engineer, or law schools for those who want to become doctors, engineers, or lawyers.

You can become a pilot while continuing a medical, engineering, or law - and many other - practices, but you'd never hear an airline/commercial pilot becoming a doctor, engineer, or a lawyer by simply going to a non-degree program on her/his spare time and obtaining all the knowledge within six to nine months.

Hope this would help you cheer up and not be too sad!

Bunny

I haven't been so lucky. I have 1200TT, 400ME, 4 yr Degree in Aviation. I sent resumes to PSA, AWAC,Comair,ASA,XJT, and Chautauqua. I haven't heard a word from any of them. It's been a little over 2 months. I would be commuting from MCO and from what I've read Colgan doesn't really have commutable lines so I haven't applied there. Skywest and Horizon would be too far of a commute so I haven't applied to them either. What the hell does it take to get an interview?

Do letters of recommendation from the inside help any?

While it won't guarantee you the job, it will be a huge help in getting the interview. Many will say that's the hardest part of getting hired here. An internal letter of rec. seems to be a common link between a lot of AWAC pilots. Good luck.

I did a double take but then realized we got our yearly 1.5% pay bump a few days ago. Add to that another $0.10 in per diem. Yay, I'm rich.

Are they hiring that much? It looks like just 4-6 per month.

It isn't much, but it is welcomed!

Last I heard from some guys that just went through training was this. When hiring resumed in May it was 2 classes a month of 4-6 like you said. However, it seems like it's back up to 8-10 per class now. Everyone thinks we're fat on FOs and ties that into bids we've submitted. We'll see. Cheers.

Fly Bunny, why dont you tell your "SAD" story to the crew that dead sticked the Airbus onto an Island in the middle of the atlantic... Tell your "SAD" story to the pilots out running SAMS in combat..

I WONDER IF YOU WOULD PERSONALLY SIT DOWN AND TELL YOUR "SAD" STORY TO THE CREW THAT SAFELY PUT DOWN A CRIPPLED AIRPLANE WITH YOUR MOTHER, WIFE, KIDS ON IT.

THE ONLY THING THAT IS "SAD" IS YOU AND YOUR PERSPECTIVE OF THIS PROFESSION.

Even though 4-year aviation college programs are way better than any non-college programs, they are simply jokes compared to what's taught at a medical, engineer, or law schools for those who want to become doctors, engineers, or lawyers.

What if we have an engineering degree AND we're a pilot? :)

(floor open to occasionally amusing FI responses.)

Latest resources

Back